Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnufreex
    replied
    Thanks for explanation. So, it is safe to say that Wayland is what will become X12

Leave a comment:

• Plombo
    replied
    It's written in C

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.
    Wayland is written in C.

Leave a comment:

• sylware
    replied
    GTK or Clutter backend

[QUOTE=smitty3268;148724]Supporting Qt doesn't mean that Wayland is necessarily c++. The changes required are done inside the Qt code, so that instead of drawing onto an pixmap or opengl texture, it instead draws on whatever Wayland uses. Wayland itself doesn't need to be touched at all.

Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.[/QUOT]

It is not what I meant. What added value would have a wayland backend instead of a libdrm gallium 3d libxkb backend for gtk or clutter?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Supporting Qt doesn't mean that Wayland is necessarily c++. The changes required are done inside the Qt code, so that instead of drawing onto an pixmap or opengl texture, it instead draws on whatever Wayland uses. Wayland itself doesn't need to be touched at all.

Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.

Leave a comment:

• sylware
    replied
    GTK+ stack

Well... I meant what will be the differences between GTK+ stack on top of wayland and the GTK+ stack on top of libdrm/gallium3D/libxkb?

(Since I love C++, I allowed myself to phase it out from the thread)

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    I wouldn't rely on that kind of assumptions. Mesa has C++ code too. Better just go check what Wayland consists of.
    And neither do I. I just treid to answer his questions to the best of my extremely limited knowledge. So If I came over as "It will be like this" then what I mean is "I dunno, maybe it's like that?"

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Ah, yes; MeeGo, my fault I think the 'Gnome/GTK+'-'camp' will use C, but since Nokia has Qt, Nokia will probably use C++, but Wayland is pretty low level with KMS and the State Trackers and such so the implementation might just be C. I don't know that much about Wayland yet
    I wouldn't rely on that kind of assumptions. Mesa has C++ code too. Better just go check what Wayland consists of.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by sylware View Post
    What are the differences between wayland and GTK/Clutter ported to use directly libdrm/gallium3d/libxkb?
    Well... Clutter is a graphic library on top of which the Mutter WM is made.
    GTK is a widget toolkit that uses Xlib, which Wayland doesn't have, so that's why it must be ported to Wayland.
    Wayland is a tiny display server. It's using EGL? If so (don't realy remember with all that info flying around) then GTK+ will probably render to a texture/pixmap which Wayland will use (compositing) for drawing windows.

If they want to use it for meego, it shall be C++/Qt (erk!), wouldn't it?
    Ah, yes; MeeGo, my fault I think the 'Gnome/GTK+'-'camp' will use C, but since Nokia has Qt, Nokia will probably use C++, but Wayland is pretty low level with KMS and the State Trackers and such so the implementation might just be C. I don't know that much about Wayland yet

(I'm sad to see the C dependency swapped for a C++ dependency in meego)
    Politics

Leave a comment:

• sylware
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Wayland is X, stripped of all the old stuff, geared at the future, acting more or less as R&D in practise. It's not network oriented. To achieve network computing and 'legacy' compatibility it can use Xserver. It's much more abstract. Porting GTK/Qt has been discussed and porting GTK is in the works (or so I believe; news is scarce).

It started as a hobby project by a Red Hat employe. It's not realy that much of a hobby project anymore in the sense that Intel and Nokia are planning to use Wayland for Meamo; it's great for embedded systems.

There is the possibility that, over time, X.org will grow, but not fully, towards Wayland, due to Waylands 'new tech', where proven.
    What are the differences between wayland and GTK/Clutter ported to use directly libdrm/gallium3d/libxkb?
    If they want to use it for meego, it shall be C++/Qt (erk!), wouldn't it?
    (I'm sad to see the C dependency swapped for a C++ dependency in meego)

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by sylware View Post
    Wayland would be the bare minimal network protocol for a modern GPU stack?
    I really have to look further into it.
    Wayland is X, stripped of all the old stuff, geared at the future, acting more or less as R&D in practise. It's not network oriented. To achieve network computing and 'legacy' compatibility it can use Xserver. It's much more abstract. Porting GTK/Qt has been discussed and porting GTK is in the works (or so I believe; news is scarce).

It started as a hobby project by a Red Hat employe. It's not realy that much of a hobby project anymore in the sense that Intel and Nokia are planning to use Wayland for Meamo; it's great for embedded systems.

There is the possibility that, over time, X.org will grow, but not fully, towards Wayland, due to Waylands 'new tech', where proven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X