Wayland Demonstration At XDS 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sylware View Post
    What are the differences between wayland and GTK/Clutter ported to use directly libdrm/gallium3d/libxkb?
    Well... Clutter is a graphic library on top of which the Mutter WM is made.
    GTK is a widget toolkit that uses Xlib, which Wayland doesn't have, so that's why it must be ported to Wayland.
    Wayland is a tiny display server. It's using EGL? If so (don't realy remember with all that info flying around) then GTK+ will probably render to a texture/pixmap which Wayland will use (compositing) for drawing windows.

If they want to use it for meego, it shall be C++/Qt (erk!), wouldn't it?
    Ah, yes; MeeGo, my fault I think the 'Gnome/GTK+'-'camp' will use C, but since Nokia has Qt, Nokia will probably use C++, but Wayland is pretty low level with KMS and the State Trackers and such so the implementation might just be C. I don't know that much about Wayland yet

(I'm sad to see the C dependency swapped for a C++ dependency in meego)
    Politics

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Ah, yes; MeeGo, my fault I think the 'Gnome/GTK+'-'camp' will use C, but since Nokia has Qt, Nokia will probably use C++, but Wayland is pretty low level with KMS and the State Trackers and such so the implementation might just be C. I don't know that much about Wayland yet
      I wouldn't rely on that kind of assumptions. Mesa has C++ code too. Better just go check what Wayland consists of.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        I wouldn't rely on that kind of assumptions. Mesa has C++ code too. Better just go check what Wayland consists of.
        And neither do I. I just treid to answer his questions to the best of my extremely limited knowledge. So If I came over as "It will be like this" then what I mean is "I dunno, maybe it's like that?"

Comment

GTK+ stack

Well... I meant what will be the differences between GTK+ stack on top of wayland and the GTK+ stack on top of libdrm/gallium3D/libxkb?

(Since I love C++, I allowed myself to phase it out from the thread)

Comment

Supporting Qt doesn't mean that Wayland is necessarily c++. The changes required are done inside the Qt code, so that instead of drawing onto an pixmap or opengl texture, it instead draws on whatever Wayland uses. Wayland itself doesn't need to be touched at all.

Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.

Comment

GTK or Clutter backend

[QUOTE=smitty3268;148724]Supporting Qt doesn't mean that Wayland is necessarily c++. The changes required are done inside the Qt code, so that instead of drawing onto an pixmap or opengl texture, it instead draws on whatever Wayland uses. Wayland itself doesn't need to be touched at all.

Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.[/QUOT]

It is not what I meant. What added value would have a wayland backend instead of a libdrm gallium 3d libxkb backend for gtk or clutter?

Comment

It's written in C

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Of course, I'm not sure what Wayland is written in, it may have already been c++ from the start or it could still be plain C.
                Wayland is written in C.

Comment

Thanks for explanation. So, it is safe to say that Wayland is what will become X12

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                    Thanks for explanation. So, it is safe to say that Wayland is what will become X12
                    No that would be wrong. X12 would be an evolution of X11. Wayland is a completely different project that can replace X but is much less featured. If you want network support for example you'd still have to run X on top of Wayland.

Comment

C++ is kludge, we all know it

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                      Ok good.

Now, what benefit a wayland backend will have compared to a libdrm/gallium3D/libxkb backend for GTK+/Clutter?

Comment

Working...
                      X