No announcement yet.

With Ubuntu 10.10 It May Be Easier To Run Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android doesn't have X and it's works fine..

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
      In fact, it ads another layer that has to be maintained because we cannot let X go. X will always have to run.
      Not if the applications support Wayland directly. That would mean wxWidgets, Gtk and Qt would need to be ported to Wayland. Then X would only need to be enabled for legacy apps.

Mac OS X does this just fine. It has X, but I don't see it running there all the time.

Comment

I'd rather see toolkits switch to XCB from Xlib, first instead of going directly to wayland. Wayland was not designed to replace the X11 protocol, but the part of X.org that manages the display drivers. But now even X.org is switching to the same technologies Wayland uses...

As far as XCB goes I think XCB should fix the slow window resizing (Xlib is not X11)...

If you lose drop X11 you lose all this:
        Quand les gens ne savent pas quoi faire au boulot, ils font un truc de complètement inutile donc indispensable...Nous avons installés 9 PC sous Linux avec 11...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not to mention that X11 can be easily extended to compete with Citrix (like NX already does)...

Comment

I'd rather see toolkits switch to XCB from Xlib, first instead of going directly to wayland. Wayland was not designed to replace the X11 protocol, but the part of X.org that manages the display drivers. But now even X.org is switching to the same technologies Wayland uses...

As far as XCB goes I think XCB should fix the slow window resizing (Xlib is not X11)...

If you lose drop X11 you lose all this:
          Quand les gens ne savent pas quoi faire au boulot, ils font un truc de complètement inutile donc indispensable...Nous avons installés 9 PC sous Linux avec 11...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not to mention that X11 can be easily extended to compete with Citrix (like NX already does)...

Comment

Here is what I was talking about earlier in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              It is not a full X11 implementation, only a server.
              Wayland is not even a partial X11 implementation. An X server can run on top of it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                Wayland is not even a partial X11 implementation. An X server can run on top of it, though.
                Can it be extended so that it could become:
                -Compatible with Xlib? *thinking about parsing*
                -Compatible with X.org client?

Let's asume Qt will run on it. Then the only reason that somebody who uses his/her desktop in a non-network fashion will have to run X.org on top of it is for legacy cruft... That will make the legacy cruft slower because of the added layer. However... however... native Wayland software will be faster! Newer, more demanding software gets faster and older less demanding software will become a little bit heavier.

What is holding people back to make the widget toolkit like Qt run over a network? Plasma already does... It probably means less data... Also apps like VLC use networking. So maybe this whole compressed pixmap render remotely thing might become outdated?

Comment

Geez you guys are reading way too much into this.

Comment

3 Videos

The 3 videos mentioned earlier showed:

- Xinerama over 9 screens on different laptops
                    - Remote access
                    - Multiple active keyboards & mice on 1 screen

These were stated "what we lose", but:

(for all of them, X can run and provide those services)

- Remote access
                    Can easily be implemented in the Wayland compositor

- Multi-pointer
                    Is a rarely-used feature that hasn't made it to distos yet and remains as a rare feature. It could be implemented with sufficient interest

- Xinerama over 9 screens
                    I'm not knowledgeable on this one, but Wayland already enumerates displays of available video cards.

Comment

Putting remote access into Wayland (unless you're talking about something like VNC) would basically mean reimplementing X. The whole idea of Wayland was to cut back to the core set of features that everyone used, do those things really well, and build other features on top (eg running X over Wayland) as needed.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X