Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Ubuntu 10.10 It May Be Easier To Run Wayland

Phoronix: With Ubuntu 10.10 It May Be Easier To Run Wayland

Beyond working towards the X Server not running as the root user and the X.Org/Mesa/Kernel upgrades planned for Ubuntu 10.10, it may also be easier to test the Wayland Display Server in this Ubuntu "Maverick Meerkat" update due out in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KMS & Wayland

Wayland not working with NVIDIA drivers == FAIL for me.

The idea of lightweight replacement of X server is great. But not running with the only drivers that allow me to develop under Linux... eh

Comment

Originally posted by RCL_ View Post
      Wayland not working with NVIDIA drivers == FAIL for me.

The idea of lightweight replacement of X server is great. But not running with the only drivers that allow me to develop under Linux... eh
      Put pressure on Nvidia to enable Wayland support in their driver then. See if it works.

Comment

Who's fail though?

Wayland will never work with the Nvidia drivers the way they are now. It would probably require Nvidia adding some code to the kernel to support kernel mode setting, which would require it to be GPL, so it's pretty unlikely that will happen.

Comment

nobody needs wayland anyway.

Comment

The proprietary drivers will start supporting wayland once it actually becomes important, just like they include lots of code to allow them to support X. Until then, I think it makes a lot more sense to just continue the early development on the well-understood OSS drivers until it's actually in a usable state. Then they can worry about getting full support from the different vendors and how to implement that whole mess.

Comment

Sadly, I think the X11 protocol is way too underrated... its versatile, expandable, and capable. The X11 protocol does not need replacement

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                Sadly, I think the X11 protocol is way too underrated... its versatile, expandable, and capable. The X11 protocol does not need replacement
                I think I heard something about X developers having a meeting about what Wayland-ish stuff they can make X do without changing the protocol. They seemed optimistic.

Comment

So how much of a speed improvement would this be? And what aboug Xlib?

Comment

AFAIK the idea with Wayland is that new apps would bypass X and render directly to Wayland surfaces using OpenGL etc., while existing apps would go through Xlib and an X server running on top of Wayland.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X