No announcement yet.

Kristian Talks About The Wayland Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland sounds great, unlike Kristian who looks like being at the verge of collapse! I have been in that situation myself before. I think this guy needs a good vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      I
      So yeah, it's frustrating. Knowing that someday "soon" the Linux graphics stack will be awesome and then someday "not longer after" the Linux desktop experience can exit the 1990's doesn't change how crappy the whole setup is right here today.
      Maybe I missed the person forcing you to use Linux at gunpoint. If Linux offers advantages for people as a desktop OS, then they'll use it as such, if it doesn't offer advantages then I don't see any loss to Linux by people using other OSes.

The Linux graphics stack has never come close to what Windows or MacOSX have had, and the more complicated the graphics cards have become the more we've fallen behind, We will always keep falling behind as long as people keep funding proprietary hw vendors and using binary drivers, who have no interest in progressing the commons in favour of just keeping the status quo on their hw.

Dave.

Comment

He's very nervous :P.

Comment

yeah, he needs to do more talks, and he'll be fine.

Comment

Thanks for this talk Kristian! I'm also pretty nervous while making a speech. I think it's ok.

Comment

It was very interesting speech and it was the second time in my life that i definitely wanted to scream "subtitles please:
              On the other hand, Kristian is a tech guy, so it is understandable that he is not such a good speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                We will always keep falling behind as long as people keep funding proprietary hw vendors and using binary drivers, who have no interest in progressing the commons in favour of just keeping the status quo on their hw.

Dave.
                If that is case FLOSS solutions will always be behind because like it or not a vast majority of people care about working feature rich solution that works in the present vs a solution based on "ideology". Even in the linux eco system people use "blobs" and the likes because it is for many the only viable current solution. There are some parts that people buy for "future use" in their system such as harddrives and the likes but a video card is not one of them. To expect people "to stop funding proprietary hw vendors and using binary drivers" is nothing but a crack induced dream until there is a real viable alternative that meets or exceeds those proprietary solutions in every aspect. Winners overcome such obstacles, the other "could be a contender" solutions whine and blame others for their failures or lack of execution.

Comment

Note to whoever took the video - I'm honestly not interested in what Kristian (or any other speaker) looks like as much as I'm interested in their slides!!! Jeez, zoom out a little next time.

vast majority of people care about working feature rich solution that works in the present
                  +1
                  And I would add that this not only holds true "globally" (all computer users) but also in the Linux community as well. *looks forward to this year's LGS results*

The only way to get people off blobs is a breaking API/ABI change. While change for the sake of change/breaking is obviously despicable, a breaking change that improves the architecture/performance/etc. IMO should NOT be stalled upstream just to cave in to the blobs. That's what distros are for.

My €0.02

Comment

IMO the way to get people off blobs is to offer a sufficiently good out of box experience with the open source drivers so that most users don't bother installing a binary driver.

As an employee of a company which supports both open source and binary drivers, I would like to see as few breaking changes as possible
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      IMO the way to get people off blobs is to offer a sufficiently good out of box experience with the open source drivers so that most users don't bother installing a binary driver.

As an employee of a company which supports both open source and binary drivers, I would like to see as few breaking changes as possible
                      i think xf86-video-ati is already a decent out of the box experience.

most people don't require fast 3d. in their case opensource radeon driver is perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X