Wayland 1.23 Released With OpenBSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That was mostly pushed by same uninformed people who spend all their time shitting on systemd and wasn't strictly speaking true back then either. Wayland is just a protocol you could implement it on Windows if you so chose.
    Actually, Microsoft did. WSLg is using wayland.
    If you're doing a fresh WSL installation on Windows 11 today, you'll have Wayland based graphic output.
    It works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Oh noes. The horror...
      Yeah. The end is nigh...

Next step: systemd

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That was mostly pushed by same uninformed people who spend all their time shitting on systemd and wasn't strictly speaking true back then either. Wayland is just a protocol you could implement it on Windows if you so chose.

In so far as there is an issue as such, it's that the BSDs lack manpower and X11 is a giant sprawling monster that touches basically everything... so when the Desktop Environments started becoming Wayland compositorsthey had to invent new ways to do things like manage seats, handle input, etc, etc, etc... but strictly speaking this had nothing to do with Wayland per se and everything to do with removing the hard dependency on X11... The problem for the BSDs was that these solutions to removing X11 entirely involved Linux developers targeting Linux with no thought at all given to running on anything else. This created quite a bit of havoc for running even X11 KDE and GNOME on the BSDs and was one of the big reasons that PC-BSD(Aka TrueOS) decided to switch from using KDE to writing their own BSD focused desktop environment before it eventually died off. It did eventually get sorted back out again but just like in Linux there's a loud vocal community of UNIX neckbeards who scream bloody murder if you dare give them software that's different than what they're using today, and need I commentate on the sheer irony of systemd haters in FreeBSD given their chief complaint is systemd has centralized and subsumed the basic Linux OS components into providing a base system...
        The dynamic and disruptive technology industry has witnessed many shifts within its overall landscape, including changes that have forced long-term technologies to adapt and evolve. FreeBSD is no different. Each new release demonstrates its commitment to continuous improvement and adaptation to meet the ever-changing requirements of current and future users across industries. What does that

Community input is essential for the well-being of any open source community, including FreeBSD. To understand how FreeBSD is used, identify successful community practices, and pinpoint areas for improvement, the FreeBSD Core Team and the FreeBSD Foundation collaborated with the research firm Research Collaborative to survey members of the FreeBSD community. The survey was conducted

BSDs will survive

Comment

To be honest, I think I'm still running on X11, I still have to move to Wayland because things work for me as it is. I'm sure it has some problems, otherwise there wouldn't be that impetus to move away from it, but I wonder if it's relevant to regular users.

The other way I saw a video stating Wayland is slowly progressing, but the guy was wondering if it'd ever be ready:

Comment

Originally posted by KaoDome View Post
            I'm sure it has some problems, otherwise there wouldn't be that impetus to move away from it, but I wonder if it's relevant to regular users.
            It will be becoming more increasingly so for at least two reasons:
            1) X11 just cannot handle more complex multi-screen setups. It also won’t get any of its missing features like HDR, mixed refresh rates etc. These are becoming more and more common needs of modern computing.
            2) All of the development focus went to Wayland. Xorg related code will rot, desktops that default to Wayland will have more regressions in their dusting X code paths.

It’s not that far away from being complete for most people and given how fast things were progressing in recent years, I don’t think it won’t take much longer. Some people will still complain that it’s not drop-in replacement and will stick to X for as long as it’s even possible to load natively, because sure it it’s its own different thing and no, you cannot do everything the way it wad possible on X.

Comment

Oh no... Those poor BSD users... ´

Comment

This is great news, im glad that the BSD's can now enjoy the benefits of a modern display stack. Death to x11!
                Originally posted by Hazel View Post
                X11 is already dead, we are just buring it.
                X11 has recently been reincarnated. It's called XWayland now.

BTW: has anyone seen birdie? Or ehh... Avis? Or does they have a new username now?

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

It will be becoming more increasingly so for at least two reasons...
                  Aha! Thanks, I am still using just one screen and it's 1920x1080 in a 15'' laptop so that explains why I hadn't had the need to switch to Wayland yet.

I don't mind changing, as long my environment keeps behaving as usual it's all good since it's low level stuff, so when the time comes it'll just be a matter of installing some packages instead of others I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post
                    BTW: has anyone seen birdie? Or ehh... Avis? Or does they have a new username now?
                    Bavis? Airdie?

Comment

Aha! Thanks, I am still using just one screen and it's 1920x1080 in a 15'' laptop so that explains why I hadn't had the need to switch to Wayland yet.
                      The fun begins for example whenever you connect some external display thats using a vastly different effective DPI pattern to a X11 box. You're lucky to have a FHD resolution display since thats kind of common and doesn't make you scream everytime you try, but once you geht one of those pesky fine resolution notebooks and connect any FHD projector or desktop monitor or vice versa you'll suffer. My life as a user has gotten MUCH better after I started using Wayland.

I don't mind changing, as long my environment keeps behaving as usual it's all good since it's low level stuff, so when the time comes it'll just be a matter of installing some packages instead of others I suppose.
                      For the most part I'd agree. I'd say it's time to change whenever another solution is just more convenient than the old one. Here, both X11 and Wayland have flaws and both will have flaws all the time. That will never change. For me on linux I experience just less trouble when I'm using Wayland instead of X11.

Comment

Working...
                      X