Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Niri 0.1.6 Wayland Compositor Adds Interactive Window Resizing & Mouse View Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niri 0.1.6 Wayland Compositor Adds Interactive Window Resizing & Mouse View Scrolling

Phoronix: Niri 0.1.6 Wayland Compositor Adds Interactive Window Resizing & Mouse View Scrolling

Niri is a scrollable-tiling Wayland compositor inspired by PaperWM and heavy on the animations/effects. Out this morning is Niri 0.1.6 as the newest feature release for this Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's impressive... but all those animations make me sick!

as a Gnome user the first thing I do on new installations is disable all animations.

Comment

I have been using Niri some and am warming up to it. Right now, if I could have Cosmic as my more full-featured DE, and then also Sway and Niri as tiling options, that would be a good setup. For 15+ years I have used something called VirtuaWin with Windows, set as a 3x3 grid. So Niri's concept of horizontally expanding per workspace with adding additional workspaces vertically fits well with that mental model that I have used for a long time, even if not a one to one match.

And the configuration syntax and default configuration file are sane and clean! And now they have rounded corners - as already a user of this can say this will help with aesthetics I believe. Also, the main dev (thanks YaLTeR!) maintains the Copr, so sure will see this available shortly, if next time I boot into that box and upgrade.
      Last edited by ehansin; 18 May 2024, 02:46 PM. Reason: added a thanks

Comment

Its good to see another tiling window manager, Linux has a shortage of them

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
          Its good to see another tiling window manager, Linux has a shortage of them
          This one has some unique usability characteristics. Also helps sort and prove out some Wayland stuff (Niri uses Shithay by the way, same as Cosmic - sort of a wlroots for Rust.) I myself am happy to have it around.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            I have been using Niri some and am warming up to it. Right now, if I could have Cosmic as my more full-featured DE, and then also Sway and Niri as tiling options, that would be a good setup. For 15+ years I have used something called VirtuaWin with Windows, set as a 3x3 grid. So Niri's concept of horizontally expanding per workspace with adding additional workspaces vertically fits well with that mental model that I have used for a long time, even if not a one to one match.

And the configuration syntax and default configuration file are sane and clean! And now they have rounded corners - as already a user of this can say this will help with aesthetics I believe. Also, the main dev (thanks YaLTeR!) maintains the Copr, so sure will see this available shortly, if next time I boot into that box and upgrade.
            Can confirm am on 0.1.6 right now, source of post - and with rounded corners after adding config option!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

This one has some unique usability characteristics. Also helps sort and prove out some Wayland stuff (Niri uses Shithay by the way, same as Cosmic - sort of a wlroots for Rust.) I myself am happy to have it around.
              Why are we dissing smithay now? Smithay isnt shit.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
                Why are we dissing smithay now? Smithay isnt shit.
                Ha ha, you got me there I'm like Michael on a busy, high-news morning!

Tildearrow, where were you when I needed you most??!!

Comment

I have this feeling that these news on Wayland compositors seem to reinvent the wheel ...

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                    but all those animations make me sick!
                    If you mean the ones they show off on the github page, it was almost all just window resizing.
                    They did show a couple open/close animations, but they seem fairly restrained.

Comment

Working...
                    X