No announcement yet.

Niri Debuts As A Scrollable-Tiling Wayland Compositor Inspired By PaperWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love seeing more tiling window managers, especially if they bring something new or different to the table. That's a good thing to me. But I wonder how useful the concept of this window manager is; sounds a bit impractical to me. When I switch over to Wayland, this is one of those window managers I will try out.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

I wonder how in this case window minimize\focus events will work. I definitely don't want all my 50 windows rendering simultaneously eating all my computer resources. Btw need to check does Niri propagate those events for offscreen windows.
      You would not be zoomed out with 50 windows visible most of the time... For instance kde desktop cube works perfectly well, even when it animates all windows on 4 desktops at the same time. I don't think this is any issue in a gpu accelerated DE.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        What's the deal with most tiling window managers / compositors having this huge colored frame around focused windows? Even Cosmic DE has it, at least from the early screenshots. Imo it looks awful and it looks like something that only helps the visually impaired, so it should be treated as an accessibility feature - should be off by default like a high contrast theme.
        It's there so that when switching windows with the keyboard, you can see which is active. It's especially useful for any windows which do not have a window decoration under a twm; most terminal emulators come to mind. In every twm I've tried out, the color and size of it is configurable, so you could certainly turn it off if you want to. I think having it turned off by default would present a usability issue out of the box and that most users would end up enabling it anyway.

Also, there are a number of contexts in which accessibility features should be turned on by default. One example is subtitles. Many story-driven video games for example begin with a cinematic, before the player has a chance to adjust settings. However, not all of these games turn subtitles on by default, so in those cases a hearing-impaired person cannot understand what is going on in the opening of the game. In fact, many people can benefit from various accessibility options but they will never know because they think "I'm not disabled, so I don't need to open the accessibility settings."

Comment

The premise of tiling WM is to have completely hidden and completely unobscured windows filling 100% of the screen (-status bar, maybe). This is explicitly obscuring windows with screen edges, so rather a step back...

For borders, well, there are to show you where is the focus. There was a better solution, changing window title bars; but CSD is the king now, so we have to relay on programs to do this. And obviously some will be nice (like most GTK and QT stuff), but some won't (e.g. Firefox, terminal emulators). Hence borders. Sane WMs, sway in particular, will allow you to kill the borders and even force indicative window title bars back.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
            The premise of tiling WM is to have completely hidden and completely unobscured windows filling 100% of the screen (-status bar, maybe). This is explicitly obscuring windows with screen edges, so rather a step back...
            I thought the point of a tiling WM was that the windows automatically organized themselves for you, as opposed to a floating WM where the windows, well, float, and you can (have to) resize and move them anywhere to your liking, overlapping or not, whereas tiling doesn't overlap.
            You have an extremely specific definition of what a tiling WM is that probably excludes the majority of tiling WMs out there.

Comment

So I used niri for a little bit, it's super unique, Not my niche specifically, but I could see this being great if it gets good touch support. and for some people for sure will love this paradigm, it's pretty nifty to have say a full screen game, and then just scroll to hide half of it, it's still in view, and scrolling is fairly snappy. I wouldn't say it's ready yet for sure, but for people who want a new twist, it's actually not bad

Comment

Yet another one?
                Exactly what I started to hate lately more and more, more fragmentation.
                The more it is, the more I hate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Yet another one?
                  Exactly what I started to hate lately more and more, more fragmentation.
                  The more it is, the more I hate it!
                  Dude it's the window manager, it's the most replicable top-level component of a distro, this is like saying painting your car a different color is fragmentation.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabitserial View Post
                    It's actually using Smithay which is somewhat analagous to wlroots. Smithay has been in development for several years at this point - Niri didn't home-grow an all-new implementation of the Wayland protocols in Rust.
                    Response not directed just to you, more just adding (not that you may not have known yourself)... Smithay is analogous to wlroots, just in rust not C (which of course has already been mentioned.) But the additional bit that others may find interesting is that Smithay is also being used by System 76 for their new Cosmic desktop (and I say that is "far out"!) And I believe they are contributing quite a bit to it as well, at least I think so (and not sure who started the project.)

Btw, posting this from Firefox running in niri (just installed via the Copr) running inside Gnome. Just launched, much more to figure out!

I am going add, the more I play around with Wayland stuff, all I can say is that I like it. The more I understand the philosophy around it (core + additional protocols, which more can be added as needed), I like it. Others may not, but I do and excited about the traction happening around it.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

8 pixels or 1 pixel, doesn't matter. These kind of frames should be off by default.
                      I guess that means you get to write your own.

You will then get to choose the defaults for your own project.

Comment

Working...
                      X