Red Hat Developing New xwayland-run & wlheadless-run Utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

Yesterday you were saying that whoever forked Fedora to accommodate Xorg was going to be making the most popular linux distro, and now you are saying Xorg will be dropped by everyone?

I guess you are finally seeing the writing in the wall...

I sincerely hope you can find a suitable replacement for your liking/workflow!
    I've not said or implied any of that.

RedHat is a Linux powerhouse and they have pretty much solely maintained the Xorg software stack. Without them Xorg is essentially abandonware.

Comment

Droping x11 and finishing wayland is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        Droping x11 and finishing wayland is the way to go.
        Which one of its many implementations?

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel View Post
          They are wasting valuable resources keeping a zombie in life support.

If something doesn't work with Wayland, the answer isn't to keep X alive forever, it's to make the thing work with Wayland.
          but wayland does not want to make things work in wayland or at least to delay it as long as possible, just as microsoft intended.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

but wayland does not want to make things work in wayland or at least to delay it as long as possible, just as microsoft intended.
            Yes, that makes sense given that they use Wayland in WSL. Since Microsoft is a contributor to so many other projects including Linux kernel and Python, you probably want to move away from all of that just to be safe from their middling influence.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

IMHO Devuan will have no choice but to drop it as well. The bottom line is that by 2025 Xorg is going EOL. Distros that still want to use it as their primary display system past that point would need to maintain it themselves and Devuan is already struggling to maintain packages sans systemd, let alone something like Xorg.
              That has never held those kind of people back. Passion is all they have and that can often result in poor decisions being made.

Comment

Honestly I can't fathom why some Linux users still insist on buying Nvidia.
                Because we have GPU compute stuff we need to do right now, not at some promised point in the indefinite future or "That works with AMD, but you need to follow this sequence of steps and I got it working on Ubuntu but not Debian or Arch and..."

I recently said that, at the rate things are going with AMD and ROCm, when I upgrade off the Cyber Monday Deal'd RTX 3060 that Amazon says should be arriving today, it's likely to be an AMD CPU and an Intel GPU, given how much better Intel's doing at having things like PyTorch Just Work™ on their GPU compute runtime.​

Also, just as an interesting side note, now that I've got a hand-me-down HP machine from ten years ago with a hand-me-down Radeon HD 5870 from 2009 combined into a dedicated gaming machine and I've been trawling through my GOG.com library for stuff to play, I've started to notice stuff like "nVidia with 1GB VRAM or AMD with 2GB VRAM" or "nVidia with 2GB VRAM or AMD with 3GB VRAM" in their system requirements... so there's that too.

Comment

People who spend their time and money working on wayland and those who used to maintain xorg are one and the same. What some people still apparently don't understand is that wayland was not meant to replace x11 feature for feature, use case for use case, and make sure that xdotool and your very own me-too toy window manager will still run. They never promised that and they never strived for that. It's not their job or goal to port the existing ecosystem over, it's the responsibility of those who still want to keep using the x11-based tools to migrate. It's not like they didn't have some 15-odd years to prepare.
                  By "some people still apparently don't understand is that wayland was not meant to replace x11 feature for feature", do you mean the people who get all up in arms when X11 users refuse to migrate to it?

Seriously, though, trying to deprecate someone's workflow or declare it illegitimate tends to be bad for getting converts.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

RedHat is a Linux powerhouse and they have pretty much solely maintained the Xorg software stack. Without them Xorg is essentially abandonware.
                    You insisted before that there wasn't much maintenance work necessary despite the vendor who has been the maintaining it solely telling you otherwise but no other vendor or volunteer has stepped up to do it despite all of this being communicated several times ages ago. Why do you think that is? If there is no work required, why does it matter that it is abandoned?

Comment

For example, the gnome's Mutter was the first production-grade compositor and all the other projects could have just used it.
                      It's a well known fact among the people who would be in a position to steer policy in projects like KDE that Mutter's architecture is horrendous.

(Among other things, part of GNOME's refusal to implement the server-side decorations KDE prefers is that Mutter can't do it performantly without a major rewrite... a performance penalty they then try to claim all SSD-providing compositors suffer.)​

Comment

Working...
                      X