Red Hat Developing New xwayland-run & wlheadless-run Utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post

Not really. You can keep using xorg. The distros using it wont be deleted from the internet and no one will break into your house to remove xorg.

What you wont get however is as many technical people spending their time and money to keep it working and fixing bugs etc. this will be left for xorg x11 users to organise within themselves and maybe even find a new benevokent dictator.

AFAIK SunOS/Solaris is not Wayland ready and Oracle is many times bigger than even IBM, so it could easily take that role. It just wont be Red Hat.
    the funny thing is that unlike wayland fanboys, xorg users are begging for technical people to spend their time and money fixing *wayland*.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I hope they are ready for the flood of nvidia related bug reports.
      I hope they won't pay any attention to them. Nvidia-related bug reports should be directed to Nvidia.

Comment

The cost of maintaining Xorg , according to a Engineering manager at Red Hat: https://mastodon.social/@csoriano/111489425631719327

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

the funny thing is that unlike wayland fanboys, xorg users are begging for technical people to spend their time and money fixing *wayland*.
          That sounds terrible. You are implying Xorg users want other people to spend their own money on something they aren't even using. I don't think that is true.

Comment

They are wasting valuable resources keeping a zombie in life support.

If something doesn't work with Wayland, the answer isn't to keep X alive forever, it's to make the thing work with Wayland.

Comment

xorg or xwayland will be there for many years because old apps or new apps who dont support wayland, i expect at least more ten years of this and then that apps and games will need virtualization or emulation to run

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I hope they won't pay any attention to them. Nvidia-related bug reports should be directed to Nvidia.
                Ngreedia when receiving those reports: ooohh, more free toilet paper! thank you peasants!!

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Ngreedia when receiving those reports: ooohh, more free toilet paper! thank you peasants!!
                  Honestly I can't fathom why some Linux users still insist on buying Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    xorg or xwayland will be there for many years because old apps or new apps who dont support wayland, i expect at least more ten years of this and then that apps and games will need virtualization or emulation to run
                    Probably, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

People who spend their time and money working on wayland and those who used to maintain xorg are one and the same. What some people still apparently don't understand is that wayland was not meant to replace x11 feature for feature, use case for use case, and make sure that xdotool and your very own me-too toy window manager will still run. They never promised that and they never strived for that. It's not their job or goal to port the existing ecosystem over, it's the responsibility of those who still want to keep using the x11-based tools to migrate. It's not like they didn't have some 15-odd years to prepare.

Comment

Working...
                      X