X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    X11 went through many independent servers before it standardized on what became Xorg (Xsun was my favorite). Wayland ecosystem is a couple of decades behind that. Opting to rip things up and start from scratch was not a good choice but that is what happened.
    If you mean the bad choice was the overly minimalistic design of the Wayland protocol, I agree, but..

There was zero chance something like wl_roots was going to come along and instantly be the correct / standardized implementation.

By the time they do standardize; wlroots probably won't even exist or be used anymore. Plus things like Weston and Sway will be seen as the old TWM of Wayland compositors.
    You don't seem to realize that there will never be a standard Wayland implementation / display server. That just never going to happen. Big projects like Gnome and KDE already have their own Wayland display server implementations, so I just don't see them scrapping years of work that has been put into Mutter and KWin Wayland support in favor of some mythical "standard" Wayland display server.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    X11 went through many independent servers before it standardized on what became Xorg (Xsun was my favorite). Wayland ecosystem is a couple of decades behind that. Opting to rip things up and start from scratch was not a good choice but that is what happened.
    There was no other choice. You can't fix X11 issues without breaking compatibility. And if you break compatibility, then it's no longer X11.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    I see wlroots as something that at least reduces the fragmentation of the Wayland ecosystem, since there is no reference display server implementation like in the case of X.org. While Gnome and KDE already have their own Wayland display server implementation, I think it's good if everything else will target wlroots in order to reduce fragmentation
    You basically can't have a cake and eat it..

X11 went through many independent servers before it standardized on what became Xorg (Xsun was my favorite). Wayland ecosystem is a couple of decades behind that. Opting to rip things up and start from scratch was not a good choice but that is what happened. There was zero chance something like wl_roots was going to come along and instantly be the correct / standardized implementation.

By the time they do standardize; wlroots probably won't even exist or be used anymore. Plus things like Weston and Sway will be seen as the old TWM of Wayland compositors.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

because mutter and kwin are crap.
    Just curious, what do you not like about them?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    How about improving Kwin or Mutter?
    I hate this Linux fragmentation that keep hindering the adoption of Linux on desktops and laptops!
    It's full of half-baked or quarter-baked solutions everywhere, but the really well-baked solutions are less than the fingers of one hand.

So besides Kwin, Mutter and Mir, not there's another crap that will go nowhere?
    No wonder Linux is still in the 1% market share!
    because mutter and kwin are crap.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by zexelon View Post
    Lets be honest... fragmentation IS the number one product of the Linux ecosystem.
    Why do people always act like this is a Linux thing only? Do you know how many duplicate apps and efforts there are on Windows, Android, etc.?

Leave a comment:

• MadCatX
    replied
    Originally posted by Kjell View Post
    Benchmarks in the repo are impressive!
    The results are, unfortunately, mostly bogus because neither CPU nor GPU usage is sampled throughout the entire run and averaged. The benchmark only snapshots a single number taken at some time, possibly even after the benchmarking program finished. The only number that is probably correct is the FPS. Just FTR, I ran the benchmark on an ancient Ivy Bridge laptop running KDE 5.27.9 with one 4K screen and one 1600x900 hooked up. With 32 subsurfaces KWin manages 50 FPS on the smaller screen and 30 FPS on the 4K screen but this is probably because HD4000 cannot drive 4K screens at more than 30 Hz refresh rate.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    How about improving Kwin or Mutter?
    I hate this Linux fragmentation that keep hindering the adoption of Linux on desktops and laptops!
    It's full of half-baked or quarter-baked solutions everywhere, but the really well-baked solutions are less than the fingers of one hand.

So besides Kwin, Mutter and Mir, not there's another crap that will go nowhere?
    No wonder Linux is still in the 1% market share!

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    But can it do gamma correction, Night Light, HDR, ICC color profiles, and v-sync?

Leave a comment:

• Kjell
    replied
    Benchmarks in the repo are impressive!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X