X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not really. Netbrains idea is kind of backwards. They're using Java instead of js electron. On desktop. Desktop Java is dead. Also they're using the local file system. The ide should be written in pure untyped js, and it should communicate with a node/mongo backed via a language server protocol (rest) using Json. The frontend should use tailwind css and react.js in 2023.
    You have it kind of backwards. They should've used adobe flash and actionscript, it's more webscale than node / mongo

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    It is really starting to feel like the year of the linux desktop is upon us. Perhaps 2024 is the one?
    At this point I never know if it's being said ironically or anyone actually believes in any significant breakthrough within one year.
    Or in other words - The YOTLD is now! It's the state when the desktop Linux user base is on its increase, which it most definitely is right now. What we really need is so that it stayed that way.
    Last edited by bple2137; 31 August 2023, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• YBoy360
    replied

Not really. Netbrains idea is kind of backwards. They're using Java instead of js electron. On desktop. Desktop Java is dead. Also they're using the local file system. The ide should be written in pure untyped js, and it should communicate with a node/mongo backed via a language server protocol (rest) using Json. The frontend should use tailwind css and react.js in 2023.
    I do not know any practical IDE using this pile of stuffs. When I mean practical, I mean doing efficiently something else than trivial JS /TS / HTML. VSCode is good when you are a student and you work on very small side projects. Not for real stuffs. Sorry, it is popular because it helps freely front-end devs, but not because it is good actually. I also think language protocol will be supported by Intellij, which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• ClosedSource
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Sure, this is why MS Teams is craving for RAM and CPU. - Not funny, I have to say...
    To be fair, writing applications using electronjs is just plain lazy. Even Qt6 is a better cross platform option that is much less memory hungry. The speed JS brings doesn't warrant the GBs of unnecessary ram usage.

Leave a comment:

• nadirx
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Because the best and most popular code editor in the world happens to be...surprise surprise, VSCode which is using JS and Electron.

Hell, the current Insider version of VSCode even allows establishing a local tunnel so that it can be used directly on a browser without having to go though vscode.dev. No need to worry about whether so-and-so toolkit supports Wayland or not.

That's the direction I want to see IDEs go, and Microsoft is ticking all those boxes.
    Implementation details aside, Intellij runs circles around VSCode as a Java IDE. To me it's about how productive I can be, and VSCode does not deliver. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    You can disable the animations you clueless puppet. This isn't GNOME where they force their pathetic design on you with no customization whatsoever.
    Doesnt help if this still removes any smart redrawing based on the parts that are actually visible for every window that's not minimized. It will be slow whether you enable effects or not.

I sometimes forget there are kids using their dads PC, i will be clearer in the future. Sorry

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Nice blog post.

Unfortunately, it failed to mention that our team at Red Hat is also involved in this in an advisory role.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Compiz was literally slapped on, Rendering of windows was dog slow (often did take seconds to resize them).
    Other than showing of by moving stuff around it was useless and the stupidest thing in a long while. "Wow my window now opens up with a 3d animation, that's totally worth having a delay of a roundtrip to the moon when typing"
    You can disable the animations you clueless puppet. This isn't GNOME where they force their pathetic design on you with no customization whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied

Sure, this is why MS Teams is craving for RAM and CPU. - Not funny, I have to say...

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied

Most native toolkits do not follow the write once, run everywhere principle. TBH modern Java app distributions also package all the platform dependent stuff. I guess the biggest advantage is that the high level application code (which usually contains most of the bugs) is fully portable. Makes it easier to test etc.
    Java ceased to be truly write-once-run-everywhere for some time already. The fact that a Jar can sometimes behave differently on Windows and Linux says it all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X