Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Bits Of Wine's Wayland Driver Were Merged

Phoronix: The First Bits Of Wine's Wayland Driver Were Merged

The first code has landed into Wine Git as part of the multi-year effort creating a Wayland driver for Wine so that the Windows games/applications running via Wine can enjoy native Wayland support. This isn't yet usable for end-users/gamers but is the early implementation with more parts to follow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing I'm concerned with the Wayland driver is the fact that windowed apps will not be able to use system (gtk) server side decorations. For example with SDL, when running a windowed app like Dosbox Staging with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland, it doesn't use gtk for window decorations, but its own weird looking one. From Collabora's latest demonstration videos of the Wayland driver, it seems windowed apps use the Windows Classic decorations instead of the gtk ones.

Comment

Wayland for Wine sounds good, it sounds like it can improve the security.
      But I think Wine sounds like something you would want to run inside Flatpak or Snap, or maybe AppArmor or SELinux or something.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        One thing I'm concerned with the Wayland driver is the fact that windowed apps will not be able to use system (gtk) server side decorations.
        No need to be concerned, but you have to use a sanely designed Wayland compositor supporting server side decorations , like KWin​.

Unfortunately for you, if you elect to use Gnome(GTK) they only support client side decorations and you get the mess. That is a bug by design, so not much to do with it. Of course you could try report it to the Gnome bug tracker, but don't get your hopes high. They insist on only supporting their brain dead design choice of client side decorations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
          No need to be concerned, but you have to use a sanely designed Wayland compositor supporting server side decorations , like KWin​.

Unfortunately for you, if you elect to use Gnome(GTK) they only support client side decorations and you get the mess. That is a bug by design, so not much to do with it. Of course you could try report it to the Gnome bug tracker, but don't get your hopes high. They insist on only supporting their brain dead design choice of client side decorations.
          Don't feed the troll.

Comment

DD epic burn

Comment

Maybe we'll be able to try this stuff out a bit early via ProtonUp or ProtonGE. I've been really satisfied since KDE introduced some DPI work that passes through to Wine.

My buddy and I play League of Legends. He has DPI issues on Windows, while I have none using Wine on Linux. It's hilarious, but I feel for him, though. He can barely see his cursor when he plays. I sometimes joke with him that Windows isn't a supported platform.

Comment

CSD are an architectural choice and as a programmer I understand why they what the app to paint it. So all painting is under control of the app.

If you use a library like libdecoration you will get the system style too. This is much more flexible than using an extra process to draw the decorations.

Personally I think one of the biggest mistakes of Linux desktop was to support extensive theming. First it made it harder to write good looking applications because it cost much more time to support all this flexibility and second we have now many users which care much more about customize their application than to use them. 😚

They are a little bit like people who like to pimp their car. 😉

Comment

Wine wayland works very nice, I hope it gets upstreamed sooner so It could be used by proton.

Comment

wineland.drv

Keeps with the old 8.3 naming schema, as well.
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X