Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Improving wlroots For Better Dual-GPU Gaming Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA Improving wlroots For Better Dual-GPU Gaming Performance

A NVIDIA engineer has opened up a merge request to improve the wlroots Wayland library so compositors based on it can enjoy better gaming performance for dual-GPU systems, namely around laptops sporting a discrete NVIDIA GPU but can help other GPU hardware/drivers too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

didn't know wlroots is hosted on freedesktop.org. but the sway itself is on github

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      didn't know wlroots is hosted on freedesktop.org. but the sway itself is on github
      That's a good way to push a standard wayland compositor framework I think.
      Sway is only one of the alternative wlroot based compositors so no need to reason it on freedesktop.

Comment

Nice! I wonder how good this is with dual dedicated gpus. vfio scenario comes to mind

Comment

Does it mean that Nvidia is actually planning to release proper dmabuf support as well?

Comment

wonder if this could be applicable to the kwinft compositor

Comment

Originally posted by ac130kz View Post
              Does it mean that Nvidia is actually planning to release proper dmabuf support as well?
              This has been a confusing topic to me. At first I read that Nvidia could not support dmabuf through their propietary drivers because it's GPL only; then I read that they support it; then, that they're improving it's support; then, that they still don't; later, that it's not the real DMABUF.

I honestly don't know the status of this.

Comment

If wine wayland driver got merged full nvidia performance on par with Xorg im shifting totally to sway.
                Last edited by PAUL007; 17 March 2023, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

This has been a confusing topic to me. At first I read that Nvidia could not support dmabuf through their propietary drivers because it's GPL only; then I read that they support it; then, that they're improving it's support; then, that they still don't; later, that it's not the real DMABUF.

I honestly don't know the status of this.
                  Ever worked in a for-profit environment, trying to gain clout?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
                    wonder if this could be applicable to the kwinft compositor
                    As is the nature of Wayland compositor ecosystem. No it isn't applicable. The work will need to be duplicated/maintained separately.

Comment

Working...
                    X