Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine's Wayland Driver Is Becoming Mature, May Aim For Upstreaming Early Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine's Wayland Driver Is Becoming Mature, May Aim For Upstreaming Early Next Year

Phoronix: Wine's Wayland Driver Is Becoming Mature, May Aim For Upstreaming Early Next Year

While now in the code freeze for Wine 8.0 as the next annual stable release of Wine for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux, one of the features that didn't make it is the long in-development Wayland driver. Thankfully though the Wayland driver continues to mature and it looks like early next year following Wine 8.0 it might finally be upstreamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wow it's way further along than i thought. will be great once it's finally in a place where people can actually start using it.

Comment

Nice. Seems all we need is some more mature Wayland support from Firefox and Chromium and we can leave X11 behind for good.

Comment

Is there any upcoming work that people feel would be severely hindered by the upstreaming of the Wayland driver?
        Other than the work of the religious anti-wayland people, who usually preach about how wayland is "totally unusable" and apparently "didn't progress anything" in all those years, I hope not

I'm personally looking forward for those patches to be mainlined, thank you Alexandros and all the devs who're helping him!
        Last edited by furtadopires; 13 March 2024, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Nice. Seems all we need is some more mature Wayland support from Firefox and Chromium and we can leave X11 behind for good.
          I've been using Firefox with Wayland for a while. It's mostly OK. Chromimum also supports it, but I rarely use it.

Comment

Welp, Wine should get full Wayland support for Wine 9 in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              I'm curious what's missing for you. I'm running Firefox on Wayland without issues for over a year. And I just checked, when I start Chromium, it also runs on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

I'm curious what's missing for you. I'm running Firefox on Wayland without issues for over a year. And I just checked, when I start Chromium, it also runs on Wayland.
                Firefox is mostly good on Wayland although under Kwin clicking-and-dragging to tear out tabs into new windows is buggy.
                Chromium under Wayland is generally OK if you are only using a 60 Hz display. It gets all kinds of glitches on high refresh rate monitors because it can't keep up with screen refresh rates of > 60Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Firefox is mostly good on Wayland although under Kwin clicking-and-dragging to tear out tabs into new windows is buggy.
                  Chromium under Wayland is generally OK if you are only using a 60 Hz display. It gets all kinds of glitches on high refresh rate monitors because it can't keep up with screen refresh rates of > 60Hz.
                  Sometimes Firefox seems to become confused when switching between maxed/tiled mode and free floating. All the content will be rendered a bit off vertically, maybe 64 pixels or the size of the tab bar. You also need to switch between windows so that it redraws the window and the glitch disappears.

Comment

Did they finally implement OpenGL support? I remember they said not so long ago about Vulkan (i.e. DXVK) apps only.

Comment

Working...
                    X