X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suokko
    replied
    Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
    Mac OSX can't do that. I just hope Wayland will continue to be client-server. Else, I won't bother, as VNC just doesn't cut it.

Anyone has more info about this?

Cheers,
    Benedikt
    You can run using indirect glx connection. It has fairly good performance even in wireless g network so if you have better than that connection any opengl application that doesn't take advantage of too new features should work well. You can test it by running some opengl application in your server using LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 enviroment varaible.
    Code:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 neverputt

Leave a comment:

• beniwtv
    replied
    Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
    It would be a lot like how Mac OS X handles X applications.
    That has been worrying for me on Wayland (and I can't seem to find any info on this).

The _only_ reason I think that X is awesome, is because it's a client-server model. So, for example I can have my applications running on my server and displaying them on my computer.

Mac OSX can't do that. I just hope Wayland will continue to be client-server. Else, I won't bother, as VNC just doesn't cut it.

Anyone has more info about this?

Cheers,
    Benedikt

Leave a comment:

• avilella
    replied
    Other way around - Wayland would be rendering and compositing the desktop, but this would only let you use client drawn apps. So there would be an X server running rootless so you could use legacy apps. The X applications would then be pulled from the X server and would be composted with the normal ones.

It would be a lot like how Mac OS X handles X applications.
    So would it be possible for the Wayland+X.org configuration to work on two different graphic cards, one integrated and another one discrete?

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Lets not turn this thread into a KDE vs GNOME flame war guys .. kthx

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    It's funny how KDE and Qt fans say nonsense like this and then complain whenever anyone mentions the horribly mismanaged KDE 4.0 and 4.1 releases...
    Goes both ways.

Leave a comment:

• srg_13
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Hehe, they'll sooner or later bring support for QT, but it's sad they first support this thing... Modern display server and old gtk - it doesn't look so good...
    It's funny how KDE and Qt fans say nonsense like this and then complain whenever anyone mentions the horribly mismanaged KDE 4.0 and 4.1 releases...

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    If Wayland can integrate ALL of X's functionality, and even do it rootless, seamless and unnoticably, it has a great future

All of Wayland's advantages, along with those of X.. *drool*

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Alien_Overlord
    replied
    +1 more for QT4.

Honestly though, *whatever* encourages maximum effective development on upgrading X.org's creaky display server. If getting GTK up gets a mass of developers extending Wayland so it survives and thrives and becomes the modern display server Linux needs... well, I'll be happy.

Of course I'll be even happier when QT4 is added to the mix. (I love me some KDE 4, I do)

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    Great news, looking forward to see in what direction this excellent project evolves.

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Hehe, they'll sooner or later bring support for QT, but it's sad they first support this thing... Modern display server and old gtk - it doesn't look so good...
    +1 for Qt4, KDE, and its new technologies!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X