Wayland's Weston 11.0 Released With HDR Display & Multi-GPU Preparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 11.0 Released With HDR Display & Multi-GPU Preparations

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 11.0 Released With HDR Display & Multi-GPU Preparations

Weston, the reference compositor to Wayland, is out today with a big feature update. Most exciting is preparation work for better supporting HDR monitors moving forward as well as preparing for multi-GPU and multi-back-end use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OHHH this is big, small steps, but big gains.

Comment

There is a lot of work happenning on finally making HDR work on Linux desktop. Like this WIP Wayland color management protocol or HDR support for vkd3d.
      What is also interesting is that AMD and Intel drivers have supported HDR for a long time, Nvidia in theory too... And you can already display HDR content by directly using DRM, like with this MPV PR.
      What is left is the wayland protocol needs to be finally agreed on, then compositors need to implement abitily to display full screen HDR content. Also for games proton changes are required. And even if that is working, there will need to be a lot of work that has to be done for windowed apps, mixing HDR and SDR and necessary color conversions...
      Gnome has done the most work on it, in Mutter, but it is a long work in front of us... This and this. But I am super excited to finally see some progress with HDR!

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
        There is a lot of work happenning on finally making HDR work on Linux desktop. Like this WIP Wayland color management protocol or HDR support for vkd3d.
        What is also interesting is that AMD and Intel drivers have supported HDR for a long time, Nvidia in theory too... And you can already display HDR content by directly using DRM, like with this MPV PR.
        What is left is the wayland protocol needs to be finally agreed on, then compositors need to implement abitily to display full screen HDR content. Also for games proton changes are required. And even if that is working, there will need to be a lot of work that has to be done for windowed apps, mixing HDR and SDR and necessary color conversions...
        Gnome has done the most work on it, in Mutter, but it is a long work in front of us... This and this. But I am super excited to finally see some progress with HDR!
        mind you, with amdvlk you can already play HDR videos from DRM with mpv for a while now, no need for the PR. I personally use it a fair chunk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

mind you, with amdvlk you can already play HDR videos from DRM with mpv for a while now, no need for the PR. I personally use it a fair chunk
          Wow, can you elaborate a bit on this? What is your config file / mpv command?

Comment

I'd give it 2 years from now, before I can open the display properties in Gnome or KDE and set 10bpc and have everything, including legacy stuff working.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

Wow, can you elaborate a bit on this? What is your config file / mpv command?
              Code:
              [HDR]
              vo=gpu-next
              gpu-api=vulkan
              gpu-context=displayvk
              target-colorspace-hint
              #target-trc=bt.1886
              #target-trc=pq​
              only works with AMDVLK as far as I am aware may or may not need to set target-trc

EDIT:
              I also reccomend doing this in a command line format since profile seems to be a bit buggy

Code:
              mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api ....

Comment

What is the reason to use a CPU with wayland?
                With xorg I can choose to use only the CPU for everything, and the GPU only for (real, not fake) video transcoding (and encoding) and games, to get maximum performance. Or I can use a compositor atop xorg (without loosing performance in comparison) for beautify the desktop for friends at cost of (much more) less performance.
                Last edited by nist; 22 September 2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  I'd give it 2 years from now, before I can open the display properties in Gnome or KDE and set 10bpc and have everything, including legacy stuff working.
                  You can already set 10 bit, that’s not the problem. HDR is.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    I think it will be quicker. MVP was aiming for gnome 43 (full screen, video, images), but missed. It should be ready for Gnome 44.

The interesting use case isnt full screen - it can already be done as mentioned earlier by going direct to DRM (which AFAIK the compositors support), but the mixing of a HDR window with non HDR content on the rest of the screen. There have been interesting discussions on this and I am looking forward to what we get.

(I should mention that Red Hat has employed developers to work across the stack to make HDR work. It may annoy the tin foil hat crowd, but someone had to invest to get everything movingh forward).

Comment

Working...
                    X