Wayland's Weston 11.0 Released With HDR Display & Multi-GPU Preparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

good chance you need to play around with the gamma and target stuff if you press the
    Code:
     `
    key and type in
    Code:
     cycle target-trc
    generally setting that right can get you a good way there. you can keep pressing up arrow and enter to cycle the target-trc
    This was quite a search on my German Neo keyboard… It’s the key next to backspace. But I need to press it simultaneous to the "°/^" key to get into this HUD. BTW, how can I close this command prompt without quitting the player?
    Gamma 2.4 seems to be about the right value on my setup!
    Command line, for anyone interested, is "--vf=format:gamma=gamma2.4"
    Colors look right with this setting. But now the darker scenes and areas are overexposed.
    What about the VA-API situation I mentioned in my last post (after an edit)? Is VA-API broken in this mpv-git version?​

Comment

It be nice to get HDR stuff for general desktop stuff and games launched just like Windows does. I think some of it is handled with AutoHDR which I don't believe anyone is working on atm for Linux.

Display control and HDR stuff has been master level under Windows for quite a long time now. Hopefully Linux can catch up soon..

Comment

Kodi and MPV can set HDR since they can work directly as the DRM master, they are in effect, the display server
        But how can they be the display server since when I boot into KDE Plasma, Kwin should be the display server?
        How does it take over?
        Or should I boot directly into Kodi from the login screen, as I saw there's an option for that besides the normal Plasma on X and Plasma on Wayland?
        But in that case how MPV can do it as I don't think I can boot into an MPV session like I can do with Kodi?

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

This was quite a search on my German Neo keyboard… It’s the key next to backspace. But I need to press it simultaneous to the "°/^" key to get into this HUD. BTW, how can I close this command prompt without quitting the player?
          Gamma 2.4 seems to be about the right value on my setup!
          Command line, for anyone interested, is "--vf=format:gamma=gamma2.4"
          Colors look right with this setting. But now the darker scenes and areas are overexposed.
          What about the VA-API situation I mentioned in my last post (after an edit)? Is VA-API broken in this mpv-git version?​
          im not sure, vaapi for me is working perfectly fine, I am having some vaapi issues related to kernel (only working on LTS) on my laptop though.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

But how can they be the display server since when I boot into KDE Plasma, Kwin should be the display server?
            How does it take over?
            Or should I boot directly into Kodi from the login screen, as I saw there's an option for that besides the normal Plasma on X and Plasma on Wayland?
            But in that case how MPV can do it as I don't think I can boot into an MPV session like I can do with Kodi?
            on linux when you swap tty it effectively drops DRM master. being a DRM master either needed root or used hacky work arounds (like MPV historically did that caused MPV to not properly drop DRM master), this changed in kernel 5.10 where now apps can become and drop drm master without root, assuming there is no current DRM manager active (IE. swapping to a TTY).

you can actually run multiple display servers, download sway or cage, swap to a TTY and launch it, you can sawp back to plasma and it *should* be fine.

or if you want, you can add an option to launch kodi as a drm master fairly easy to most display managers by adding a .desktop file with the proper config settings. an example of a custom file would be this. mind you im not sure if kodi works on desktop with HDR, I have only seen success stories on arm based systems so far.

Code:
            /usr/share/wayland-sessions/sample.desktop​
            /etc/X11/sessions/sample.desktop
            Code:
            [Desktop Entry]
            Encoding=UTF-8
            Type=Application
            Name=Custom session
            Comment=This is our custom session
            Exec=insert exec command here

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              HDR, AMD hardware and a proper Steam OS 3 released by Valve and I will nuke my windows install!
              Well there is nothing wrong with holoiso its 99% steamOS 3 and works good, sadly I have an Nvidia card so its a bit buggy, but still quite usable.

Comment

I have had plenty issues getting hdr to work properly on win10 but its basically a year old now 21h2 win10 vs 22h2 win11. I hope hdr works on linux when win10 support ends.

Comment

Code:
                  [HDR]
                  vo=gpu-next
                  gpu-api=vulkan
                  gpu-context=displayvk
                  target-colorspace-hint
                  #target-trc=bt.1886
                  #target-trc=pq​
                  only works with AMDVLK as far as I am aware may or may not need to set target-trc

EDIT:
                  I also reccomend doing this in a command line format since profile seems to be a bit buggy

Code:
                  mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api ....
                  I have installed amdvlk and weston and use your config, I can only hear the sound but can not see the image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot the weston in repo was still in version 10 instead of 11.
                  Last edited by s9209122222; 05 October 2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
                    But I am super excited to finally see some progress with HDR!
                    We all are - but that doesn't make this any less disappointing overall. I was doing work on HDR in the early 2000s: that's so long ago that even "15 years and counting" Wayland wasn't started yet, but HDR was already a well-known concept even back then.
                    Wayland failed to consider things well though, failed to deliver on the implementation, and is only now "starting to get close to maybe having something that sort-of works, most of the time, for a subset of cases, a few years from now", already years late, which is a story we're all getting really tired of with this project. By now I expect even *they're* tired of it, and it's literally their job.

Originally posted by You-
                    (I should mention that Red Hat has employed developers to work across the stack to make HDR work. It may annoy the tin foil hat crowd, but someone had to invest to get everything movingh forward).
                    It's their systemic failures that brought things to this state in the first place. They are entirely culpable for creating this mess: who do you think should be cleaning it up, if not them?!
                    Last edited by arQon; 02 October 2022, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                      It's their systemic failures that brought things to this state in the first place. They are entirely culpable for creating this mess: who do you think should be cleaning it up, if not them?!
                      Wow, look at that sense of entitlement!

I am guessing you are paying Red Hat to offer you support for the features you want at fair developer prices?

Did they break HDR for them to now have to fix it? its almost as if you think they made a mess that they then need to clean up. There was no prior HDR support that they broke and even if they had broken it, you could choose to not use their work and use previous versions of the software before Red Hat involvement.

How is it their fault that no one else invested in this in the past?

Comment

Working...
                      X