Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 11.0 Released With HDR Display & Multi-GPU Preparations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

    Code:
    [HDR]
    vo=gpu-next
    gpu-api=vulkan
    gpu-context=displayvk
    target-colorspace-hint
    #target-trc=bt.1886
    #target-trc=pq​
    only works with AMDVLK as far as I am aware may or may not need to set target-trc

    EDIT:
    I also reccomend doing this in a command line format since profile seems to be a bit buggy

    Code:
    mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api ....
    it works automatically for me with RADV and RadeonSI as well on MPV, gstreamer does not tho

    Comment


    • #12
      This is incredibly wonderful news!

      Many thanks to the developers!

      I hope that this will help KDE developers to implement it in Plasma too.

      One thing that I noticed on the latest blog post of Kodi media center, is that they mention something about HDR on Linux

      https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-nexus-alpha-3/

      But what I didn't understand is if it's the real deal and how it could work if currently no desktop environment supports HDR?

      I'm always reminded everywhere that I cannot watch HDR movies without HDR support for the desktop environment.

      Plus, following that link in the post, I see in the description of the pull request on Github that the changes in another pull request are needed:

      https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19141

      But haven't been merged.

      So can the Apha 3 of Kodi display HDR movies properly without the HDR support from the desktop environment in which is running and without this additional pull request merged?

      And if it can display HDR movies properly, does it sent the correct HDR metadata to the monitor / TV or it's converting HDR to SDR?

      Comment


      • #13
        Weston seems to me the only indipendent WMs for wayland usable, while all the rest rely on wlroots (and on tiling = not democratic window managers mostly). The only problem with Weston is it seems impossible to find docks and bars for it. Neither seems that it is possible to make them. Have it any binding for python, for example? Is its ipc suitable for that? Is it possible to make a simple tray?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by nist View Post
          to get maximum performance.
          Aah yes, you sure know what your doing

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            This is incredibly wonderful news!

            Many thanks to the developers!

            I hope that this will help KDE developers to implement it in Plasma too.

            One thing that I noticed on the latest blog post of Kodi media center, is that they mention something about HDR on Linux

            https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-nexus-alpha-3/

            But what I didn't understand is if it's the real deal and how it could work if currently no desktop environment supports HDR?

            I'm always reminded everywhere that I cannot watch HDR movies without HDR support for the desktop environment.

            Plus, following that link in the post, I see in the description of the pull request on Github that the changes in another pull request are needed:

            https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19141

            But haven't been merged.

            So can the Apha 3 of Kodi display HDR movies properly without the HDR support from the desktop environment in which is running and without this additional pull request merged?

            And if it can display HDR movies properly, does it sent the correct HDR metadata to the monitor / TV or it's converting HDR to SDR?
            Kodi and MPV can set HDR since they can work directly as the DRM master, they are in effect, the display server

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

              I also reccomend doing this in a command line format since profile seems to be a bit buggy

              Code:
              mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api ....
              Hm… I have a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Needed to uninstall vulkan-radeon and install amdvlk on Arch. Also mpv-git was needed from AUR. I have renamed my own mpv.conf and started this via "mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api vulkan -gpu-context displayvk --target-colorspace-hint" (I’m still confused about the - or double -- situation with mpv commands). On a X.org session with Plasma, I see no window but it seems to play (this was expected). Started from a tty, it plays with video and my monitor does report a HDR source. The video is still too dark, just like any HDR content in SDR mode before you correct the gamma value. Might just be my monitor but I would be surprised (LG Ultragear 27GP950-B, should be quite capable). The skin colors also don’t look good, actually worse than on the X.org session. When I stop a video via "q" the monitor does go dark. I have to switch to another tty and back to the first to get back to the command prompt. Switching to tty7 does make my Plasma session completely dark and I have to use ctrl + alt + backspace to reset my session when the video is still playing on the framebuffer tty.

              Edit: Another finding: va-api doesn’t work anymore with amdvlk in my desktop session, switched back to vulkan-radeon and there it is again. Relevant mpv.conf lines here:
              Code:
              profile=gpu-hq
              gpu-api=vulkan
              vo=gpu
              hwdec=vaapi​
              Last edited by holunder; 22 September 2022, 04:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by holunder View Post

                Hm… I have a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Needed to uninstall vulkan-radeon and install amdvlk on Arch. Also mpv-git was needed from AUR. I have renamed my own mpv.conf and started this via "mpv -vo gpu-next -gpu-api vulkan -gpu-context displayvk --target-colorspace-hint". On a X.org session with Plasma, I see no window but it seems to play (this was expected). Started from a tty, it plays with video and my monitor does report a HDR source. The video is still too dark, just like any HDR content in SDR mode before you correct the gamma value. Might just be my monitor but I would be surprised (LG Ultragear 27GP950-B, should be quite capable). The skin colors also don’t look good, actually worse than on the X.org session. When I stop a video via "q" the monitor does go dark. I have to switch to another tty and back to the first to get back to the command prompt. Switching to tty7 does make my Plasma session completely dark and I have to use ctrl + alt + backspace to reset my session when the video is still playing on the framebuffer tty.
                good chance you need to play around with the gamma and target stuff if you press the
                Code:
                 `
                key and type in
                Code:
                 cycle target-trc
                generally setting that right can get you a good way there. you can keep pressing up arrow and enter to cycle the target-trc

                but yes, it only works from TTY, and mpv when it exits doesn't punt you back to tty so you need to manually swap back to it. as for plasma, that is likely a plasma bug and should be reported to them

                HDR stuff still needs a lot of work obviously
                Last edited by Quackdoc; 22 September 2022, 04:52 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by You- View Post

                  The interesting use case isnt full screen - it can already be done as mentioned earlier by going direct to DRM (which AFAIK the compositors support), but the mixing of a HDR window with non HDR content on the rest of the screen.
                  I don't quite agree. So far only apps supporting HDR are MPV and Kodi and they both need to work in DRM mode. If you have your desktop session running that is already using the DRM mode and you can't launch another app. I needed to switch to a different TTY and launch the app from there, which is not the most user friendly solution.
                  I hope that apart from the app support compositors will also implement passthrough support in not too long, so fullscreen app will be able to work. I think once we get to that point, it will be good enough for most uses, like gaming and movies.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    HDR, AMD hardware and a proper Steam OS 3 released by Valve and I will nuke my windows install!

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

                      I don't quite agree. So far only apps supporting HDR are MPV and Kodi and they both need to work in DRM mode. If you have your desktop session running that is already using the DRM mode and you can't launch another app. I needed to switch to a different TTY and launch the app from there, which is not the most user friendly solution.
                      I hope that apart from the app support compositors will also implement passthrough support in not too long, so fullscreen app will be able to work. I think once we get to that point, it will be good enough for most uses, like gaming and movies.
                      I think he's talking about DRM leasing, which we think might be possible? I haven't been able to get a comment from anyone sadly

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X