Mir 2.9 Released With XDG-Shell For Wayland, Support For More Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 2.9 Released With XDG-Shell For Wayland, Support For More Protocols

Phoronix: Mir 2.9 Released With XDG-Shell For Wayland, Support For More Protocols

Canonical has released a new version of Mir, their display server that now focuses on making it easy adapting new environments to use Wayland by being an adaptable Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

zZzZzZZZzzzzz...

Comment

Does anyone even use this? has anyone ever even used it?

Comment

Seems like duplication of effort to me. They should just use an existing Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
          Seems like duplication of effort to me. They should just use an existing Wayland compositor.
          I mean we already have wlroots, every competing standard complicates software development for wayland (e.g. less software will work on wayland in the end cuz not everyone's gonna bother with developing for like 5 different standards between maybe 8 different compositors.)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            UBPorts uses Mir for Ubuntu Touch. The upgrade from a 16.04 base to a 20.04 base was put on hold until Canonical updated Mir with Wayland support.

This is HUGE NEWS for UBPorts supporters, fans, developers and users!

Might actually get EGL support and “classic apps” such as Firefox, etc, working without a Libertine container! Time to bring out my Nexus 6P again

Comment

I mean we already have wlroots, every competing standard complicates software development for wayland (e.g. less software will work on wayland in the end cuz not everyone's gonna bother with developing for like 5 different standards between maybe 8 different compositors.)
              Wlroots works great with PostMarketOS for example but won’t work on Ubuntu Touch which relies on the Halium abstraction layer to use a downstream kernel instead of mainline — and relies on Mir

Comment

I honestly wish Plasma would move their kwin to wlroots so it would enable use of some of the 'extra' features like gamma control since full display control still seems years away....

Comment

Canonical themselves don't.

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
                  UBPorts uses Mir for Ubuntu Touch. The upgrade from a 16.04 base to a 20.04 base was put on hold until Canonical updated Mir with Wayland support.
                  Are they aware which year it is and that a new LTS came out already?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Canonical themselves don't.

Are they aware which year it is and that a new LTS came out already?
                    1) UBPorts Ubuntu Touch is downstream of Ubuntu, similar to Mint, and has a fairly active community. I would not expect Canonical to use Linux Mint nor would I expect them to use UBPorts UBTouch.

2) Volla Phone and Fairphone both have the option to ship w/Ubuntu Touch

3) As I mentioned: they were unable to move past 16.04 due to lack of Mir on Wayland support. As phones are small iot devices: the change today effects them as well - essentially allowing the project the massive leap forward that they have needed.

4) Why the hate to downstream Ubuntu variants? Linux Mint is solid - and I mean Ubuntu itself is downstream of Debian. Just embrace that another open source project finally is able to move to its next milestone: especially one that provides increased usability and security compared to remaining on outdated Android builds.

(Security patches are backported to 16.04)

EDIT: is more user choice a bad thing?
                    Last edited by Eirikr1848; 27 August 2022, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X