Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "xisxwayland" Version Two Released For This Simple X.Org Program

Phoronix: "xisxwayland" Version Two Released For This Simple X.Org Program

The X.Org project "xisxwayland" is out with a new version of this simple program that can be easily called by shell scripts and other simple uses for checking to see whether the running X.Org Server is a genuine X11 server or more commonly these days an XWayland server running within a Wayland environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> more commonly these days an XWayland server running within a Wayland environment

Only for Gnome users, us window manager users and XFCE users are using X11 and loving it.

Comment

...many Kde users, all Mint and Cinnamon users, most Nvidia users, but now that Ubuntu 22.04 is out it would be nice to see some numbers about Wayland usage

Comment

Running Wayland on Nvidia GPU is amazing in Gnome 42.
        I can really recommend it.

Comment

Seems like a useful gimmick for developers to check if a specific issue is x11/xwayland specific.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
            ...many Kde users, all Mint and Cinnamon users, most Nvidia users, but now that Ubuntu 22.04 is out it would be nice to see some numbers about Wayland usage
            I would like to know what the split is between vanilla Ubuntu and the derivatives like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu server. I would bet that most ubuntu installs are ubuntu server and don't even have a gui.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              > more commonly these days an XWayland server running within a Wayland environment

Only for Gnome users, us window manager users and XFCE users are using X11 and loving it.
              Used XFCE for years. Switched over to wayland about 2 months ago. Don't see reason to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I would like to know what the split is between vanilla Ubuntu and the derivatives like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu server. I would bet that most ubuntu installs are ubuntu server and don't even have a gui.
                I listened to an interview with (I think) the Ubuntu Mate (or Cinnamon>) lead a few weeks ago and it was suggested the derrivatives at that time were minute, contributing to a percent or two of the overall Ubuntu install, with it (whichever one the interviewee was the lead on) leading everyone else by a fair margin.

There have been some suggestions that PopOS has made big inroads since then though (even suggested approaching parity), but I dont know if those figures are believeable.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Used XFCE for years. Switched over to wayland about 2 months ago. Don't see reason to come back.
                  I didn't either until my company switched to Teams from Skype Business. Turns out dumbass MS could not get their video calls and screen shares on Teams working over Wayland, so I had to go back to X.

Comment

I tested Wayland again today!

Test - expectation : fail
                    Test - confirmation : fail (as expected)

What failed?
                    - VAAPI Hardware video acceleration 4K res : ~10fps
                    - Games at non native resolution : game take only 1/4 of the screen instead of the screen switching to HD res
                    - Copy-Paste between host and guest VM : fail

GPU : Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CML GT2)

Comment

Working...
                    X