Ubuntu Working On GNOME Wayland Support For The AMD Xilinx Kria KR260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Working On GNOME Wayland Support For The AMD Xilinx Kria KR260

Phoronix: Ubuntu Working On GNOME Wayland Support For The AMD Xilinx Kria KR260

Canonical engineer Daniel van Vugt who is known for his work on enhancing the upstream GNOME desktop stack to improve the experience for Ubuntu has recently taken up interest in getting the AMD-Xilinx Kria KR260 working with the GNOME Wayland session. The Kria KR260 is for the recently-announced AMD/Xilinx Robotics Starter Kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland on a machine vision development kit? That's extremely absurd.

Comment

I didn't look into the driver, but if it's the same limited binary that ARM puts out for many of their Mali GPU's with limited kernel support (e.g. missing DRM/KMS stuff) then it'll actually improve things for other limited outdated Mali drivers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        I didn't look into the driver, but if it's the same limited binary that ARM puts out for many of their Mali GPU's with limited kernel support (e.g. missing DRM/KMS stuff) then it'll actually improve things for other limited outdated Mali drivers as well.
        that kind of answered my own question... I was wondering what could make a Mesa driver supported GPU behave so badly out-of-the-box that it would need a truckload of tweaks to become usable

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          No not really. Having kiosk-style control panels using off-the-shelf software components would be appealing. Probably the only place I would ever willingly write anything for Gnome is kiosk style apps because that's what the entire Gnome system feels like (and why I don't like using it otherwise).

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            Probably the only place I would ever willingly write anything for Gnome is kiosk style apps[...]
            A small note that GNOME already offers a minimal Wayland and X compositor for single app sessions called GNOME Kiosk. RH wrote a nice tutorial for how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Care to elaborate?

Comment

Oh, that thing has a Mali 400 MP2, which is the shitty old GPU that only supports OpenGL ES 2.0. The same shitty GPU inside the Allwinner A64.
                People run Gnome in a Wayland session on that thing for a while now, its just that it does not technically have the minimum OpenGL level needed for that and its slow as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Care to elaborate?
                  "Absurd" ain't enough for ya?

Comment

So they are using a proprietary driver for Mali400 while open-source lima driver has been available and stable for at least couple years?

Comment

Working...
                    X