WayVNC 0.5 VNC Server For wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WayVNC 0.5 VNC Server For wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors Released

Phoronix: WayVNC 0.5 VNC Server For wlroots-Based Wayland Compositors Released

WayVNC 0.5 was released on Saturday as a feature update to this VNC server for Wayland compositors leveraging the WLROOTS library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Way to go! Now more VNC servers for more compositors.
    Thank you devs.

Comment

I love wayland experience, especially with a touchscreen. But the VNC server situation is terrible, and last reason why I need to use X11 on my PC. There is no server compatible with everything. Each compositor needs its own, one for wlroots-based, one for kwin and one for mutter. I am on KDE and I am running into a bug with KRFB (VNC server for KDE) that hasn't been fixed for months. So unfortunately I have to go back to X11.
      All the random problems make me thing wlroots is the most mature toolkit and I wish more compositors used it, I hope kwinFT will suceed for example.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
        I love wayland experience, especially with a touchscreen. But the VNC server situation is terrible, and last reason why I need to use X11 on my PC. There is no server compatible with everything. Each compositor needs its own, one for wlroots-based, one for kwin and one for mutter. I am on KDE and I am running into a bug with KRFB (VNC server for KDE) that hasn't been fixed for months. So unfortunately I have to go back to X11.
        All the random problems make me thing wlroots is the most mature toolkit and I wish more compositors used it, I hope kwinFT will suceed for example.
        Mutter/GNOME is going in the RDP direction anyway it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Mutter/GNOME is going in the RDP direction anyway it seems.
          Sounds good to me if performance ends up more like RDP and less like VNC. We are long overdue for a good universal open source replacement of the latter. It doesn't have to be RDP, but something better.

Until then, I guess I'll keep installing NoMachine.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Sounds good to me if performance ends up more like RDP and less like VNC. We are long overdue for a good universal open source replacement of the latter. It doesn't have to be RDP, but something better.

Until then, I guess I'll keep installing NoMachine.
            Performance should be okay, I haven't tested but given the compositor has support for it built in, it should be more optimised than pixel scraping.

Comment

What a nightmare. Now we got implementation dependent wayland applications.

Comment

> What a nightmare. Now we got implementation dependent wayland applications

I think the issue is that most wlroots compositors are intentionally bereft of features, so users of sway/river/etc are expected to pick and choose bits and pieces

For GNOME/KDE/XFCE users, these compositors aim to be more complete desktop environments, so I wouldn't expect these users to have to worry about implementation details (VNC support is either already provided or on the roadmap)

Comment

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
                  > For GNOME/KDE/XFCE users, these compositors aim to be more complete desktop environments, so I wouldn't expect these users to have to worry about implementation details (VNC support is either already provided or on the roadmap)
                  It's one thing to have "batteries included" with for example VNC built-in, but to not even have the APIs to make it possible to create an alternative implementation sounds stupid. Sounds like an idea that Apple would have come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
                    > What a nightmare. Now we got implementation dependent wayland applications

I think the issue is that most wlroots compositors are intentionally bereft of features, so users of sway/river/etc are expected to pick and choose bits and pieces

For GNOME/KDE/XFCE users, these compositors aim to be more complete desktop environments, so I wouldn't expect these users to have to worry about implementation details (VNC support is either already provided or on the roadmap)
                    In the perfect world, you are right. But in practice it is problematic. With any X11 desktop you could choose between many polished and well working VNC or even RDP servers. But when you use a Wayland desktop you only have one option, that is way less rich in features, and in my experience problematic. Right now it is Kompletely broken on Plasma...
                    It seems not that popular feature + fragmentation gives not the best results.

Comment

Working...
                    X