No announcement yet.

New Progress Being Made On Deep Color Support For GNOME Wayland Sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be totally wrong on this but I think the other patches on high bit depth have superceded/will supercede this. it might be a matter of timing but that high bit depth work seems to cover the same areas of work more fully.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Displaylink is a digital connection, just like hdmi and displayport. It makes no difference to image quality. Unless you were using vga before?
      Speaking of VGA, I made the mistake of buying one of those brand-less Chinese motherboards for a old AMD CPU. And not only the BIOS is a mess, but the VGA connector only output 1024x768. I had never saw that in my life...

Comment

Displaylink is a digital connection, just like hdmi and displayport. It makes no difference to image quality. Unless you were using vga before?
        ?? The very article that we are commenting on is an example of how not all digital connections are created equal. Using a different connection can make a difference in terms of metadata signalling, bit depth, resolution or framerate. Why couldn’t it make a difference to image quality?

Comment

Never in my life have I found anything as pointless and infuriating than displaylink. Masterclass on how to absolutely over-complicate connecting displays to a computer.
          What issue do you have with DisplayPort? It has always just worked for me... What does DisplayPort have to do with what this article is talking about with HDR/Deep Color on Gnome / Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

What issue do you have with DisplayPort? It has always just worked for me... What does DisplayPort have to do with what this article is talking about with HDR/Deep Color on Gnome / Wayland?
            DisplayLINK not DIsplayPORT

As for the relevance, from the article: "Most notably, he figured out the cause of a DisplayLink issue that had been blocking the deep color effort for the past five months"

Comment

Yay!! HDR might be able to be ready in 10 years.
              I can't believe that they have spent so much time but no progress has been made, HDR has been announced for so many years.
              Last edited by s9209122222; 27 June 2022, 10:51 PM. Reason: grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
                Hopefully, this will make things easier for adopting HDR.
                No idea what you are on about.
                Only connector that allowed me 100hz ultrawidescreen with vrr on linux and higher resolution on windows laptop, as opposed to HDMI

i responded to wrong person darn

Comment

Working...
                X