Wayland 1.21 Alpha Finally Introduces High-Resolution Scroll Wheel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Most Wayland haters just want to argue against Wayland, they have never actually used Xorg's network transparency in their lives.
    if you are referring to me, since the previos answer was to a comment of mine:

1. i'm not a Wayland haters. The question was about the missing features, and my answer was "network transparency". I don't see traces of hate here.
    2. I've been using X11 network transparency well before Xorg even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Obviously I'm talking about HDR. And as I said, while it works in spite of X11, it does work in combination with X11.
      Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

both wayland and x11 pretty much need to do the same thing as far as I am aware, launch it on another TTY, at least it's how I've been doing it and well it works, aint elegent, but hey, HDR is nice.
      I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I know it can't be HDR. Xorg has never had any HDR support, and most likely never will the way things are looking.

Originally posted by cynic View Post

network transparency
      Nobody uses X11's network transparency functionality anymore. X11 forwarding over SSH doesn't need it, and Xorg has disabled it by default for years. waypipe does Wayland forwarding over SSH the same way X11 forwarding over SSH works.

Comment

I'd sooner wait for the final GNU / Hurd version than for the final working Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
          Nobody uses X11's network transparency functionality anymore. X11 forwarding over SSH doesn't need it, and Xorg has disabled it by default for years. waypipe does Wayland forwarding over SSH the same way X11 forwarding over SSH works.
          I don't care what other people do, and I don't care to listen to what you think other people do.
          There was a simple question ("what is a feature you miss") and "network transparency" was my answer to that.

Is it difficult to comprehend?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I know it can't be HDR. Xorg has never had any HDR support, and most likely never will the way things are looking.
            If you would actually read what you quote, you'd know what we are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
              I'd sooner wait for the final GNU / Hurd version than for the final working Wayland
              Wayland is working perfectly well in pretty much any use case the average user will ever have. But of course you can wait decades for a "final working Wayland" version as this won't happen until Wayland has a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
                Which, if any, mice actually have high-resolution scroll wheels? There are several that have a free-spinning mode, like the Logitech G502 and MX Master series, and the Razer Basilisk v3, but brief research indicates that they still send 1 event per 15 degrees, just without clicking.
                AFAIK, my Logitech MX Ergo supports high-resolution scrolling, given the fact that it has a maximum DPI of 2048.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

yeah, HDR works in specific setups, ones I know of I pointed out earlier, using amdvlk and kodi or mpv.
                  A while ago, I had a very lengthy discussion with birdie, our HDR expert, and he assured me HDR doesn't work at all on Linux. So you're saying he's wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

A while ago, I had a very lengthy discussion with birdie, our HDR expert, and he assured me HDR doesn't work at all on Linux. So you're saying he's wrong?
                    In practical terms it's fair to say it doesn't work since nobody wants to go through all this nonsense. Unfortunately it barely works in Windows either. Or maybe it's changed over the past year or so, because I was playing Life is Strange: True Colors recently and I was pleased to find HDR worked reliably. Perhaps it's a matter of the implementation in the app.

Edit: correction, it would seem the wiki there is wrong or misleading: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/is...ent-1119666425

All I can say is that I don't intend to waste a lot of time to find out for myself.
                    Last edited by Frenzie; 27 May 2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post
                      In practical terms it's fair to say it doesn't work since nobody wants to go through all this nonsense. Unfortunately it barely works in Windows either. Or maybe it's changed over the past year or so, because I was playing Life is Strange: True Colors recently and I was pleased to find HDR worked reliably. Perhaps it's a matter of the implementation in the app.

Edit: correction, it would seem the wiki there is wrong or misleading: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/is...ent-1119666425

All I can say is that I don't intend to waste a lot of time to find out for myself.
                      Ouch. Be careful what you say about HDR on Windows, 'cause last time I said something about it, I got a lenghty rant from HDR expert birdie. Bottom line was that it always works on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X