Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

HDR, x11 has no HDR capabilites.
    what `Fraction scaling` has to do with HDR? They are two different things!

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

For all I understand there's more missing. Afaik games don't really run natively on wayland because it seems to enforce Freesync (or something similar) which decreases gaming performance in games significantly. But no idea if that's something that actually needs to be changed in Wayland implementations or if gaming engines need to step up their game.
      vsync not freesync, but it is an issue for many yes as far as I know it works with 3buff vsync (or mailbox on vulkan) which does minimize the delay, but it's still no vsync off, and people should be given the choice. but other then that it's actually mostly fine. the delay issue is really only in issue for competitive gamers who really do want the best. and compositor needs to support it I guess.

afaik if a game runs with vsync off, it effectively does the same thing as triple buffer? would need someone more experienced to confirm, but I think I read that somewhere. Take it with a grain of salt, I probably read it on reddit from internet man somewhere.

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Obviously I'm talking about HDR. And as I said, while it works in spite of X11, it does work in combination with X11. But I don't think this is possible with wayland
      both wayland and x11 pretty much need to do the same thing as far as I am aware, launch it on another TTY, at least it's how I've been doing it and well it works, aint elegent, but hey, HDR is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

what `Fraction scaling` has to do with HDR? They are two different things!
        whaty I was replying to "Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?"

wayland needs fractional scaling to get to feature parity at least

Comment

Artim yeah as an appendage it seems like the gaming situation on wayland is a solid fine

A considerable amount of people assume Wayland isn’t particularly suitable for gaming, usually because you can’t turn off the compositor. This post will challenge that assumption and see how the current state of gaming on Wayland is, with a focus on KWin, KDEs compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

whaty I was replying to "Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?"

wayland needs fractional scaling to get to feature parity at least
            If I remember it correctly, fractional scaling is a mess on xorg, and not in Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              This is very nice. It's not the most important of the needed features, but every one needs to be hit.

Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?
              network transparency

Comment

Imo HDR is the most important thing to implement with so many output devices, from televisions, PC monitors and even beamers/projectors supporting the HDR colorspace nowadays.
                I believe it's there on the kernel (drm/kms) side, but to get it working in userspace all layers and libraries need to implement support for all of the 10bit and 12bit modes.
                E.g. the compositor/window-manager, toolkits, XWayland etc.. then there's of course different color formats from RGB to YCbCr.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

network transparency
                  LOL. Have you tried this over the internet? It's all very well if everyone is on a LAN, but otherwise, it just doesn't work very well. There are way better approaches, such as those that VNC / RDP use.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    Imo HDR is the most important thing to implement with so many output devices, from televisions, PC monitors and even beamers/projectors supporting the HDR colorspace nowadays.
                    I believe it's there on the kernel (drm/kms) side, but to get it working in userspace all layers and libraries need to implement support for all of the 10bit and 12bit modes.
                    E.g. the compositor/window-manager, toolkits, XWayland etc.. then there's of course different color formats from RGB to YCbCr.
                    yeah, HDR works in specific setups, ones I know of I pointed out earlier, using amdvlk and kodi or mpv.

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

If I remember it correctly, fractional scaling is a mess on xorg, and not in Wayland
                    maybe a mess, but at least it exists. currently most wayland gnome and kde will render at the next integer scale then downscale, so i'm rendering everything at 5k, then downscaling to 1440p, instead of gui frameworks just making UI elements bigger. this means that say Im watching MPV.

my 4k video, will get upscaled to 5k, then from there get downscaled to 1440p. because of this wayland is attrocious for watching videos. same thing with games, since games will render at 5k resolution, or be upscaled to 5k, then downscaled to 1440p. (though this might not be an issue with direct scanout??? I need to find someone who knows more about it to ask cause I find direct scan out to be confusing).

I use 4k as an example because it's what I have an accurately represents the issue, but any and all fractional scaling suffers this issue

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

LOL. Have you tried this over the internet? It's all very well if everyone is on a LAN, but otherwise, it just doesn't work very well. There are way better approaches, such as those that VNC / RDP use.
                      the fact that it doesn't work (very well) over the Internet doesn't mean it have no usecases.
                      also, VNC /RDP are not a sostitute.

Comment

Working...
                      X