Wayland 1.21 Alpha Finally Introduces High-Resolution Scroll Wheel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.21 Alpha Finally Introduces High-Resolution Scroll Wheel Support

Phoronix: Wayland 1.21 Alpha Finally Introduces High-Resolution Scroll Wheel Support

Two years after the merge request was originally opened, the upcoming Wayland 1.21 release is adding high resolution scroll wheel support for mice to match the work carried out for X.Org and within the Linux kernel drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which, if any, mice actually have high-resolution scroll wheels? There are several that have a free-spinning mode, like the Logitech G502 and MX Master series, and the Razer Basilisk v3, but brief research indicates that they still send 1 event per 15 degrees, just without clicking.

Comment

This is very nice. It's not the most important of the needed features, but every one needs to be hit.

Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?
        X11 doesn't have HDR either, Fraction scaling however

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Are you talkin about HDR or HiDPI?

Comment

X11 doesn't support it, but it's possible to work around it (as many features do). Wayland doesn't allow such workarounds. So, while it's not a feature of X11 Wayland still needs to learn it for one to be able to say that with Wayland Compositors you can do the same stuff you where able to do before Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

Are you talkin about HDR or HiDPI?
              HDR, x11 has no HDR capabilites.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

X11 doesn't support it, but it's possible to work around it (as many features do). Wayland doesn't allow such workarounds. So, while it's not a feature of X11 Wayland still needs to learn it for one to be able to say that with Wayland Compositors you can do the same stuff you where able to do before Wayland.
                in regards to HDR or scaling? if it's HDR then it doesn't support it at all, infact the only way to get HDR on linux is to use a dedicated device, or amdvlk and launch a supported app in DRM mode, (IE. kodi or MPV)

in regards to scaling, I dunno how X works, I only know it works better then wayland

EDIT: other drivers might support it, no idea if they do, only one I have verified is amdvlk, or was it radv? can't remeber anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  This is very nice. It's not the most important of the needed features, but every one needs to be hit.

For all I understand there's more missing. Afaik games don't really run natively on wayland because it seems to enforce Freesync (or something similar) which decreases gaming performance in games significantly. But no idea if that's something that actually needs to be changed in Wayland implementations or if gaming engines need to step up their game.

Also there's currently no way for a program to set global shortcuts. Skipping tracks in Spotify, Push-to-talk in Discord or the various shortcuts for Zoom are currently impossible, just to name a few. Adding to this, it seems like something like clipboard history doesn't seem to work with Wayland. But I'm not sure if that's generally not possible in current implementations or if that's just a shortcoming of the GNOME extension I use for this.

And even if it's done together with HDR since it's needed for HDR, but color management is still in the works too.

Comment

in regards to HDR or scaling? if it's HDR then it doesn't support it at all, infact the only way to get HDR on linux is to use a dedicated device, or amdvlk and launch a supported app in DRM mode, (IE. kodi or MPV)

in regards to scaling, I dunno how X works, I only know it works better then wayland

EDIT: other drivers might support it, no idea if they do, only one I have verified is amdvlk, or was it radv? can't remeber anymore
                    Obviously I'm talking about HDR. And as I said, while it works in spite of X11, it does work in combination with X11. But I don't think this is possible with wayland

Comment

Working...
                    X