Wayland 1.21 Alpha Finally Introduces High-Resolution Scroll Wheel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

LOL. Have you tried this over the internet? It's all very well if everyone is on a LAN, but otherwise, it just doesn't work very well. There are way better approaches, such as those that VNC / RDP use.
    It's unclear from your message whether you're saying it is now easily possible to run an app remotely regardless of the technological details or whether you're purposefully misinterpreting a specific way of phrasing the desired functionality as if it's talking about technological details. Hopefully it's the former, in which case please share more details?

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
      Which, if any, mice actually have high-resolution scroll wheels? There are several that have a free-spinning mode, like the Logitech G502 and MX Master series, and the Razer Basilisk v3, but brief research indicates that they still send 1 event per 15 degrees, just without clicking.
      Could we focus on this question (and the subject of the article) instead of yet another flame-thread about HDR, fractional scaling and network transparency?

Which devices support this? I have a Roccat KoneXTD, any support there?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

LOL. Have you tried this over the internet? It's all very well if everyone is on a LAN, but otherwise, it just doesn't work very well. There are way better approaches, such as those that VNC / RDP use.
        First of all, it's hilarious to think an approach that gives you just a video feed - in worst case with completely unreadable text - could somehow bea replacement for streaming the actual UI to your screen where it is impossible for text to be unreadable (given no bug is making text rendering mess up).

Second, I have yet to find a VNC/RDP solution that actually works well. With that I mean the remote computer is only turned on, nobody is logged in there. I can log in remotely and use whatever program I desire. With that being said, I didn't even touch the problem of setup. With X Forwarding in the worst case it's uncommenting a line in a config file, that's it. Sure, you have to set up an OpenSSH server first and place your SSH key, but therefore you would never have to touch a GUI. I have yet to come across a VNC/RDP solution that is that easyly set up, especially with remote login.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

my 4k video, will get upscaled to 5k, then from there get downscaled to 1440p. because of this wayland is attrocious for watching videos.
          I don't think that's the case. They don't upscale everything. https://discourse.gnome.org/t/how-fr...n-wayland/5373

From some bug report in had forgotten. Xorg had a bad performance with fractional scaling. and not the other way around. Maybe also with my own personal experience, but I left xorg years ago, so I can't say it for sure. But I have this vague memory about my fan rammping up with frictional scaling on on xorg

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

I don't think that's the case. They don't upscale everything. https://discourse.gnome.org/t/how-fr...n-wayland/5373

From some bug report in had forgotten. Xorg had a bad performance with fractional scaling. and not the other way around. Maybe also with my own personal experience, but I left xorg years ago, so I can't say it for sure. But I have this vague memory about my fan rammping up with frictional scaling on on xorg
            ah I think you are misunderstanding me, MPV itselff upscales to 5k

if you configure your monitor to 150 %, that in fact means a scaling factor of 1.5 and a HiDPI, clients will be told to render with a scaling factor of 2. What the compositor then does is take the over sized client buffer and paints it smaller on the target framebuffer.
            this here means the clients (so mpv) render at a scale factor of 2 which the compositor itself then downscales it to the target framebuffer.

an easy way to test would be to simply set your monitor to 4k, with a scale of 150% (don't need a native 4k monitor to do this) open MPV, and read out the scaled resolution as that is the resolution that MPV is rendering at. in practice, almost anything that matters currently gets scaled around more then a child playing with a paint app.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

network transparency
              Xorg is not network transparent. It used to be, but it hasn't been for a long time :

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Xorg is not network transparent. It used to be, but it hasn't been for a long time :

https://youtu.be/RIctzAQOe44?t=1118
                Most Wayland haters just want to argue against Wayland, they have never actually used Xorg's network transparency in their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

https://youtu.be/RIctzAQOe44?t=1118
                  That's wrong. QT and GTK aren't really network transparent anymore. Still you can very easily transfer pretty much any programs GUI to your own system with a simple switch for SSH. This is impossible with Wayland, given no XWayland is involved. Sure, there is Waypipe but for all I know it's still incomplete and there is no SSH integration.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Most Wayland haters just want to argue against Wayland, they have never actually used Xorg's network transparency in their lives.
                    And you just blindly accept any half baked argument for Wayland as the undeniable truth. You think you are so much better?

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

First of all, it's hilarious to think an approach that gives you just a video feed - in worst case with completely unreadable text - could somehow bea replacement for streaming the actual UI to your screen where it is impossible for text to be unreadable (given no bug is making text rendering mess up).

Second, I have yet to find a VNC/RDP solution that actually works well. With that I mean the remote computer is only turned on, nobody is logged in there. I can log in remotely and use whatever program I desire. With that being said, I didn't even touch the problem of setup. With X Forwarding in the worst case it's uncommenting a line in a config file, that's it. Sure, you have to set up an OpenSSH server first and place your SSH key, but therefore you would never have to touch a GUI. I have yet to come across a VNC/RDP solution that is that easyly set up, especially with remote login.
                      Also to be frank, VNC/RDP is also broken Wayland at the moment anyways so this isn't a good excuse either.

Comment

Working...
                      X