X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post

what `Fraction scaling` has to do with HDR? They are two different things!
    whaty I was replying to "Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?"

wayland needs fractional scaling to get to feature parity at least

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Artim View Post

For all I understand there's more missing. Afaik games don't really run natively on wayland because it seems to enforce Freesync (or something similar) which decreases gaming performance in games significantly. But no idea if that's something that actually needs to be changed in Wayland implementations or if gaming engines need to step up their game.
    vsync not freesync, but it is an issue for many yes as far as I know it works with 3buff vsync (or mailbox on vulkan) which does minimize the delay, but it's still no vsync off, and people should be given the choice. but other then that it's actually mostly fine. the delay issue is really only in issue for competitive gamers who really do want the best. and compositor needs to support it I guess.

afaik if a game runs with vsync off, it effectively does the same thing as triple buffer? would need someone more experienced to confirm, but I think I read that somewhere. Take it with a grain of salt, I probably read it on reddit from internet man somewhere.

Obviously I'm talking about HDR. And as I said, while it works in spite of X11, it does work in combination with X11. But I don't think this is possible with wayland
    both wayland and x11 pretty much need to do the same thing as far as I am aware, launch it on another TTY, at least it's how I've been doing it and well it works, aint elegent, but hey, HDR is nice.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

HDR, x11 has no HDR capabilites.
    what `Fraction scaling` has to do with HDR? They are two different things!

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied

in regards to HDR or scaling? if it's HDR then it doesn't support it at all, infact the only way to get HDR on linux is to use a dedicated device, or amdvlk and launch a supported app in DRM mode, (IE. kodi or MPV)

in regards to scaling, I dunno how X works, I only know it works better then wayland

EDIT: other drivers might support it, no idea if they do, only one I have verified is amdvlk, or was it radv? can't remeber anymore
    Obviously I'm talking about HDR. And as I said, while it works in spite of X11, it does work in combination with X11. But I don't think this is possible with wayland

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    This is very nice. It's not the most important of the needed features, but every one needs to be hit.

Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?
    For all I understand there's more missing. Afaik games don't really run natively on wayland because it seems to enforce Freesync (or something similar) which decreases gaming performance in games significantly. But no idea if that's something that actually needs to be changed in Wayland implementations or if gaming engines need to step up their game.

Also there's currently no way for a program to set global shortcuts. Skipping tracks in Spotify, Push-to-talk in Discord or the various shortcuts for Zoom are currently impossible, just to name a few. Adding to this, it seems like something like clipboard history doesn't seem to work with Wayland. But I'm not sure if that's generally not possible in current implementations or if that's just a shortcoming of the GNOME extension I use for this.

And even if it's done together with HDR since it's needed for HDR, but color management is still in the works too.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

X11 doesn't support it, but it's possible to work around it (as many features do). Wayland doesn't allow such workarounds. So, while it's not a feature of X11 Wayland still needs to learn it for one to be able to say that with Wayland Compositors you can do the same stuff you where able to do before Wayland.
    in regards to HDR or scaling? if it's HDR then it doesn't support it at all, infact the only way to get HDR on linux is to use a dedicated device, or amdvlk and launch a supported app in DRM mode, (IE. kodi or MPV)

in regards to scaling, I dunno how X works, I only know it works better then wayland

EDIT: other drivers might support it, no idea if they do, only one I have verified is amdvlk, or was it radv? can't remeber anymore

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post

Are you talkin about HDR or HiDPI?
    HDR, x11 has no HDR capabilites.

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied

X11 doesn't have HDR either, Fraction scaling however
    X11 doesn't support it, but it's possible to work around it (as many features do). Wayland doesn't allow such workarounds. So, while it's not a feature of X11 Wayland still needs to learn it for one to be able to say that with Wayland Compositors you can do the same stuff you where able to do before Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied

Are you talkin about HDR or HiDPI?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    Is HDR the only remaining feature to bring Wayland into feature parity with X11?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X