XWayland Adds New Option To Expose Dummy Modes For Gamescope / Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Adds New Option To Expose Dummy Modes For Gamescope / Steam Deck

Phoronix: XWayland Adds New Option To Expose Dummy Modes For Gamescope / Steam Deck

Merged yesterday to the mainline X.Org Server for XWayland is the "-force-xrandr-emulation" option added for Valve's Gamescope / Steam Deck usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When Wine merges wayland support, would Proton also pick that up eventually, removing the required of XWayland when running Windows games ?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      When Wine merges wayland support, would Proton also pick that up eventually, removing the required of XWayland when running Windows games ?
      I assume yes to the point that I'd be my life savings on it. Proton is basically Wine-Staging with extra patches and abilities to make it even more game friendly.

It actually wouldn't surprise me in the least if Proton picked up Wayland first. The Wine developers are very stringent with the code they'll accept and the Proton developers aren't beholden to that...it's the reason why DXVK and D9VK were able to take off as fast as they did.

Comment

Real matter is when the graphical environment will be XWayland free for the benefit in pure Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I assume yes to the point that I'd be my life savings on it. Proton is basically Wine-Staging with extra patches and abilities to make it even more game friendly.

It actually wouldn't surprise me in the least if Proton picked up Wayland first. The Wine developers are very stringent with the code they'll accept and the Proton developers aren't beholden to that...it's the reason why DXVK and D9VK were able to take off as fast as they did.
          Likewise, I would expect Wayland-support to come to wine-staging first, and only merged to upstream when ready. I would assume the support to be hidden behind a flag, or automatically based on the login session (even though it would mean bugs early on when running on Wayland)

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Real matter is when the graphical environment will be XWayland free for the benefit in pure Wayland.
            A lot of older native games use X11 and will never be updated to use Wayland. One of the Steam Deck's biggest strengths is access to a huge back-catalogue so I don't see why removing XWayland would be a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mar2ck View Post

A lot of older native games use X11 and will never be updated to use Wayland. One of the Steam Deck's biggest strengths is access to a huge back-catalogue so I don't see why removing XWayland would be a benefit.
              Exactly! People always complain that Windows is more backwards-compatible than Linux even *with* X11/XWayland, so why would we make it even less backwards-compatible by removing XWayland then?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                Well, technically, that's now unless you use something that isn't Wayland compatible (and maybe never will be Wayland compatible) like an older native proprietary game and Windows programs with Wine. Everything else basically works on Wayland. Not gonna like, there are still edge cases and issues, but office suites, IDEs, photo viewers and editors, audio and video players, most every major desktop environment, and expected features like cut and paste all work on Wayland these days. That's my experience using KDE and GNOME with a single monitor and no desktop recording, streaming, or remote desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, technically, that's now unless you use something that isn't Wayland compatible (and maybe never will be Wayland compatible) like an older native proprietary game and Windows programs with Wine. Everything else basically works on Wayland. Not gonna like, there are still edge cases and issues, but office suites, IDEs, photo viewers and editors, audio and video players, most every major desktop environment, and expected features like cut and paste all work on Wayland these days. That's my experience using KDE and GNOME with a single monitor and no desktop recording, streaming, or remote desktops.
                  Electron apps are a bit troublesome, and they don't progress on that front for quite a long time. Chromium itself is progressing slowly, and Electron apps are far behind.

There are still apps like Ardour that won't likely come to Wayland any time soon - even if it did, it's kinda pointles as most audio plugins won't work.

Otherwise, were getting there and I already used both GNOME and KDE for months. The transition can be quite transparent depending on what you do.

Comment

Working...
                  X