Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Now Allows Enabling Native Wayland Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Now Allows Enabling Native Wayland Support

Those using the Chromium web browser on Ubuntu by way of the Snap package, the latest build has now enabled (optional) Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is awesome, ease of deployement to snap is very underated. great job Canonical, hoping for native wayland steam snap someday.

Comment

This is pretty great news if you use Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi or other arm64 system. With no option for a native Chrome from Google, we've been stuck with both major browsers only available as snaps, and the snaps haven't let you use native Wayland. Chrome in a snap running Ubuntu on 20.04 libraries through xwayland is a... less than stellar experience when every CPU cycle counts.

Comment

To check if Chrome is using Wayland, type "chrome://gpu/", press Ctrl+F and search for "XDG_SESSION_TYPE". If it shows "wayland" you are in.

Also, if you want a list of those special URLs, type "chrome://chrome-urls/".

Comment

As long as it's about Snaps, I don't care, I hate this packaging format!
          Does Chromium have now working video hardware acceleration?
          Since the one in Firefox is still broken and Mozilla doesn't seem to care much as the 4 month old bug ticket is still open.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Since the one in Firefox is still broken and Mozilla doesn't seem to care much as the 4 month old bug ticket is still open.
            Apparently trying to introduce video hardware acceleration into web browsers opens a big can of worms. After all they are very complex pieces of software where security is a big concern. Even MPV recommends against video hardware acceleration, but I still keep it enabled myself to keep CPU usage to a minimum. I take advantage of KDE's clipboard utility to watch for YouTube URLs, and give me an option to play them in MPV if it sees one. That way I just right-click a YouTube link, copy the URL, then click the option to play the video. The video plays in MPV, hardware accelerated, and with no ads. I could hide the window border, drag the window to the bottom corner of the screen, and set it to stay on top. The video will then play in the corner as I work on other tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Wrong. Firefox is the holy grail among browsers within the Linux community, so it's perfect and it never has any broken features or bugs.

Comment

Fck snp.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                  This is pretty great news if you use Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi or other arm64 system. With no option for a native Chrome from Google, we've been stuck with both major browsers only available as snaps, and the snaps haven't let you use native Wayland. Chrome in a snap running Ubuntu on 20.04 libraries through xwayland is a... less than stellar experience when every CPU cycle counts.
                  Can't you use a native Chromium build or a flatpak?

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Can't you use a native Chromium build or a flatpak?
                    No, apparently the hatred of snaps somehow overrides any rational thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X