Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

libdisplay-info Started To Address The Wayland Fragmentation Around EDID/DisplayID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libdisplay-info Started To Address The Wayland Fragmentation Around EDID/DisplayID

Phoronix: libdisplay-info Started To Address The Wayland Fragmentation Around EDID/DisplayID

There has been a known problem for some time that with the increasing number of different Wayland compositors out there, there is a lot of fragmentation when it comes to display EDID/DisplayID handling. Thankfully libdisplay-info has been started with hopes of addressing that issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland is fragmentation. I wonder how many years will pass before someone says "enough is enough" and addresses this <del>madness</del> peculiar design choice.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Wayland is fragmentation. I wonder how many years will pass before someone says "enough is enough" and addresses this <del>madness</del> peculiar design choice.
      Wayland protocol does not cause fragmentation, it is the implementations that refuse to share the code.
      P.S., X is also a protocol, and there are also multiple X server implementations.

Comment

Could xorg also use this library?

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
          Wayland protocol does not cause fragmentation,
          It is if you leave important details up to others.

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
          it is the implementations that refuse to share the code.
          They are all FOSS. But its like always the "not invented here" problem. or that others have to add there work to you even if they don't know or care for you. It total fine of a project picks code from other projects.

Comment

this is nice. I would love for this to be the first step towards proper DPI scaling instead of the broken system we currently have. I believe QT has DPI awareness. I'm not sure if GTK supports DPI awareness, but DPI based scaling is far superior to the crap shoot scaling we use now. of course wayland would also need a generic way to implement this.

Comment

So it doesn't contain any code yet?

Comment

Wayland took so many years because it was a horribly hard and desperate undertaking to begin with which somewhat reminds me of this Chinese man trying to catch a falling tree:

Comment

That has already been done and it's called Arcan: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0.6.1-Released

Comment

Because there is not democracy. The power is the only force.

Comment

Working...
                    X