Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Performance For NVIDIA GeForce & AMD Radeon On Ubuntu 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Performance For NVIDIA GeForce & AMD Radeon On Ubuntu 22.04

Phoronix: X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Performance For NVIDIA GeForce & AMD Radeon On Ubuntu 22.04

Earlier this month I posted some Ubuntu 22.04 Linux gaming benchmarks with X.Org vs. (X)Wayland performance for NVIDIA GeForce graphics now that the NVIDIA 510 driver has the GBM support in good shape. NVIDIA's (X)Wayland gaming performance is largely in good shape now while for those wondering how it compares to AMD Radeon on Ubuntu 22.04 daily, here are some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like in most cases, the difference is margin of error, and a user should make the decision of which to use on things other than gaming.

If you have a 3090, then the difference is always negligible. I would be interested to see if the largest gaps shrink on older/weaker hardware, or if they grow (ie, is it a 5% loss, that will take you from 30 to 28, or is it a 10fps loss that will take you from 30 to 20.).

Either way, I've got a nice AMD card, so I'll be sticking with wayland.

Comment

The benchmark shows that AMD has properly integrated Wayland support and Nvidia didn't (yet).
      The Wayland session should either be equal to X11 or a tiny bit faster, "a tiny bit" because Wayland has little to do with more FPS, it's about a much more responsive and modern display server.

Comment

Why Gnome shell? It's probably the worst compositor for gaming these days (on Wayland at least). I've heard multiple horror stories about performance, stuttering and etc.

What would be interesting is to compare multiple compositors for that.
        Last edited by shmerl; 14 February 2022, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Why Gnome shell? It's probably the worst compositor for gaming these days (on Wayland at least). I've heard multiple horror stories about performance, stuttering and etc.
          From who? It has some of the most mature support of Wayland to the extent that conspiracy theorists think Wayland was made by Gnome for Gnome.

Comment

And without a compositor at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

From who? It has some of the most mature support of Wayland to the extent that conspiracy theorists think Wayland was made by Gnome for Gnome.
              I've seen some posts about weird latency / sync issues, stuttering and so on. You can call it however you want, but dismissive attitude is not helping your argument that it's not an issue.

Example: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1455

So I very much dispute it being mature for gaming. It doesn't even have adaptive sync support still.
              Last edited by shmerl; 14 February 2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Yea, sure a bug report from the middle ages...

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                  Yea, sure a bug report from the middle ages...
                  Smart comment for sure. May be comment again when adaptive sync will be working.

Comment

Nvidia driver is still buggy on xwayland though. I've tried playing skyrim but it's very choppy and stuttery. Same with the witcher 3, had to go back to xorg to finish that one.

Comment

Working...
                    X