Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Performance For NVIDIA GeForce & AMD Radeon On Ubuntu 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    I mean around a decade (or more) ago I wouldn't even recommend Linux for general use, now its somewhat plausible since Linux has improved massively. Honestly the biggest issue for general use right now is the transitions to Wayland/PulseAudio (this one is quite seemless though).
    Just a small correction. I think you meant to say Wayland/Pipewire.

But yea, I agree. I think as soon as video call software supports Pipewire, the average person could be more than happy on a Linux desktop. Perhaps even more in some cases. I was just showing my mom Fedora 35 on her low-powered laptop via a live session. Not only did it run well but it immediately saw the network printer and the webcam worked. She was under the impression that the webcam was broken because it wasn't working in Windows. She's also not the type to seek out new software because she doesn't really know how but the software center is so straight forward that I could actually imagine her using it. Most of what she actually does is use Facebook and Youtube which are obviously going to be identical experiences in Linux and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

What a dumb troll. Gnome and KDE work out of the box. Better tell us how many hours gamer waste after broken winblows update.
      I have been gaming for a decade and a half with windows on dozens of machines and never had this happen to me.

Also had plenty of broken Linux installations after doing updates so top with the FUD and exaggeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Just a small correction. I think you meant to say Wayland/Pipewire.
        Yes indeed

Comment

What does "focus on gaming" mean here? And again, do you have any newer, more relevant benchmarks that back up your stance or are you just working on hunches and taste?
          I'm not the one that said it, but IMO a focus on gaming would mean it would be super easy to convince the Gnome project not to coalesce, delay, or otherwise interfere with mouse events by default, leave that for a special battery saver mode, and instead focus on lifting all boats by reducing the cost of processing mouse events.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

I'm not the one that said it, but IMO a focus on gaming would mean it would be super easy to convince the Gnome project not to coalesce, delay, or otherwise interfere with mouse events by default, leave that for a special battery saver mode, and instead focus on lifting all boats by reducing the cost of processing mouse events.
            They already merged the code to receive mouse events at the full rate. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1915

Comment

They already merged the code to receive mouse events at the full rate. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1915
              Right, but as I recall, convincing them that was the right approach was a massive slog.

Comment

Right, but as I recall, convincing them that was the right approach was a massive slog.
                That MR doesn't reference any specific issues it closed and I can't find any open or closed issues that would have any discussion about it.

Comment

I know the defacto testing on here is nearly always Ubuntu and 1.20.x series xorg-server versus Wayland, but FFS can't we for once see a test against Wayland using something like Endeavor that's actually using modern xorg 21.x and not ancient 1.20.x series?

Comment

That MR doesn't reference any specific issues it closed and I can't find any open or closed issues that would have any discussion about it.
                    I believe I was remembering MR 168, mainly.

Comment

I believe I was remembering MR 168, mainly.
                      Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like they were against fixing the problem. Some of the push back was because they felt the commit messaging wasn't properly explaining what the patch would do but most of it had to do with performance issues introduced with how the patch fixed the problem. Daniel even acknowledged that CPU usage would increase but felt that patch should be merged first and then CPU usage should be reduced later. Carlos Garnacho, the person who maintains Gnome's drawing tablet input support, felt that any future fixes to CPU usage from that patch would likely result in the patch being completely reverted.

Comment

Working...
                      X