Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post

while letting that obstruct getting features out in a timely manner that users actually need.
    "Features" should be provided by your DE and window manager.

Comment

• Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

"Features" should be provided by your DE and window manager.
      Are you part of the "wayland is just a protocol and not a window manager, and therefore nothing is ever wayland's fault brigade?" Because a protocol on its own sure isn't going to help me do very much on my computer. Also, "features" meant "protocol features".
      Last edited by ⲣⲂaggins; 08 February 2022, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Well, wayland is coming, and the 10% who are using it have worked on getting their bugs fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
          So many replies here, "I've been using Wayland for ... and I only have this or that issue".

Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) with something which has serious issues (if they weren't serious you wouldn't mention them, right)? Fedora/Arch started offering Wayland six or seven years ago? And we still have showstoppers in DEs, e.g. Gnome, which are meant to work perfectly? That's shameful considering all the uproar that "Wayland is all so cool".
          That's the problem. You're assuming Xorg works perfectly.

Comment

• I run dual 4K monitors, perfect in X11 but as for Wayland... for me the showstopper is the lack of HIDPI support in XWayland. Some of my daily apps are X11 based and I don't see this changing any time soon. There are PR's for this feature which have been open for a long time, but I understand there are issues with them.

From my point of view as a user, this should be a priority feature and someone from the core Wayland team could step up and "just do it", whatever the state of PR's, just so this feature is available. Instead we get VR and gestures in XWayland (not that I'm against those, but priorities...).

I also understand that this feature will need support from the compositor side of things, XWayland is only a part of the puzzle. This probably means additional delays as KDE and GNOME catch up, even if XWayland part was implemented tomorrow.

Really should have been a part of the core protocol from the beginning..... Oh well....

Another issue is that after a suspend / resume with Wayland there are serious display artifacts, like desktop backgrounds are missing (solid black), top GNOME panel is visually gone (although it continues to respond to mouse clicks).... This was observed in Ubuntu 21.10 and Manjaro with everything latest. Those are just bugs but.... how do they ship software that's so much broken? With X11, suspend / resume is flawless.

Yet another thing that comes to mind.... I've got an NVIDIA card (AMD would freeze the system, even with latest kernels). GNOME only enables Wayland session if there is a special kernel parameter, nvidia-drm.modeset=1, which is not set by default. This certainly does not help the statistic we're discussing here. And to me that's another Wayland "WTF" - the X11 session works without this kernel parameter just fine.
            Last edited by kmansoft; 08 February 2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• I'm surprised Wayland use is as HIGH as that, not as low. Not because it's the longest-running joke in the Linux world, but just because only RH has pushed it on users until recently.

Comment

• From my experience with 6 different systems mostly Intel and AMD gfxdo not have any issue with Wayland Sessions. (Always GNOME) but different distros Ubuntu, Debian, PopOS, Clear Linux, Gentoo... (Some of them have dual boot)

But once I have to use Nvidia drivers it starts to be strange and sometimes buggy.

My conclusion the majority (of course not all) of users having Wayland issues do use Nvidia and/or KDE and maybe an outdated driver set.

Wayland is snappier and tearfree. X11 is slightly better on Nvidia System over X11 on AMD/Intel but still worse then Wayland on AMD/Intel.

BTW Intel 11955w iGPU with Mesa on PopOS 21.10 Cosmic/Wayland has NO issue delivering smooth multi monitor experience with 2x1080p 1xQHD 1xUHD at once...don't want to do the math but its a lot of pixels to serve. Firefox works included.
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 08 February 2022, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by caligula View Post

OBS Studio and GNOME's integrated screenshot functionality works. Also, Firefox's built-in screenshot works. You could switch to MuPDF or Evince for PDFs.
                  No, I should not, it is my workflow, I paid to have some functionality and I need it sometimes daily. Evince is a viewer, does not help me with compressing, extracting pages, combining, reordering pdf files etc. Anyways, for some PDF files it is not even a food viewer because you have a very limited zoom (I ran some building sketches lately and had to zoom a lot to see what it is there), and for a bit more complicated forms it is useless, I am even forced to dual boot in Windows for file uploads and digital qualified signatures.

OBS is good, but overkill and overcomplicated for my normal needs. I don't need to use a Ferrari to cross the street.
                  Gnome screen recording is useless for me, I don't even understand why it exists.

The screeshoting options - those are not that good, fast, flexible. Don't want to use them.

Comment

So many replies here, "I've been using Wayland for ... and I only have this or that issue".

Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) with something which has serious issues (if they weren't serious you wouldn't mention them, right)? Fedora/Arch started offering Wayland six or seven years ago? And we still have showstoppers in DEs, e.g. Gnome, which are meant to work perfectly? That's shameful considering all the uproar that "Wayland is all so cool".
                    As stated by others sometimes the small exception is worth using wayland. Because wayland is very snappy. And I always hated to come back from Wayland Session (AMD) to my X11 Session (because of Nvidia) just everything seems to be slower...bit foggy almost.
                    but one has to say sensetivity for input lag and responsetime of displays, fps etc is quite individually. So if you don't belong to this group you might don't care. I hat lack of responsiveness. Thats why I'm using RT kernel (TT Xanmod), Wayland session and if possible march=native compiled software.

Comment

99.9% of users out there have a single monitor. .
                      May I invite you to my workplace and to the homes of my colleagues?

Comment

Working...
                      X