Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
    een sharing on wayland only works with GNOME not KDE. (Wouldn't funkstar be happy?) WTF? Did they manage to disagree on the standard?
    Nope. Zoom doesnt use the cross desktop method. It (ab)uses internal gnome-shell API. This has stopped working in latest gnome-shell because they locked it down to avoid third party apps using it. Zoom hasnt updated to use the cross desktop method yet, but it will still work on older gnome releases, like those in Ubuntu LTS/Debian Stable and even RHEL/Centos Stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by arglebargle View Post

You say that but people *love* to hold on to crufty old system software because it's the default they're used to using. There are going to be *so* many cranky people trying to unfuck their VAAPI configs when their systems default to Wayland instead of X.
      .. and I thought VA-API needs unf*ing with any display protocol?
      Are X11 people missing out on the fun?

Comment

• by the time Wayland is adopted, it will be obsolete.

Comment

• Originally posted by reba View Post
          AMD user. Debian user. KDE plasma user. Wayland user. Firefox user.
          Touchpad scrolling is butter smooth in Firefox when using Wayland.
          vsynctester gives a continuously perfect frame switch response.
          WebGL Aquarium (even when not the best WebGL test anymore) gives way better results with wayland than X11.
          No hangs, no crashes, no unexpected kills, no segfaults, no nothing. No problems. It works quick and reliably. Wouldn't accept anything else.

When I read those crash and burn posts I just cannot imagine what went wrong and where and why.
          Intel CPU; iGPU + 2xNvidia; Debian; Gnome; Wayland; Firefox;
          I second all statements.

Also: Debian testing/Sid (and Fedora 35) have Gnome 41.3 and Nvidia 470.x that enable Nvidia GBM. This version makes Gnome Wayland available out of the box (but X11 remains the default when the proprietary driver is installed). I run my DE on the iGPU but I can start programs with 'launch using discrete GPU'.

Now it is more than possible that Gnome 42 and Nvidia 510.x will have Wayland sorted.

Edit/add: you can run Unigine Heaven (...) benchmarks on the first dGPU while having the monitor connected to your motherboard. This is out-of-the-box after installing the non-free Nvidia drivers. Just launch with
          __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia ./heaven
          I have not figured out how to offload to the second dGPU or both dGPU. Still these are very promising times.
          Last edited by mppix; 08 February 2022, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thrabos View Post

My point is that after 13 years it still is not ready to flat out replace X.org.

Now about the competence of the people that coded X11 or Wayland, I cannot say. However, from my point of perception, it would be exceptionally pretentious to state something like that. I have never coded something that complex and certainly have not maintained such a complex code base for such a long time. So allow me to take your affirmation with a big grain of salt.
            You can have brilliant programmers who come up with brilliant solutions for implementation, but if the core idea of the project is not brilliant, there's only so much they can do.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

While 99.9% is an exaggeration I would say that conclusion is still correct. If you really are talking about all users around the word then the number of people that do use single monitors is easily in the 90th percentile (or more).
            I would N-th that. At ex job I used multi display setup because it was a requirement to make job easier, at home, I don't need more than one display and never used more than one.

Comment

• Originally posted by t.s. View Post
              Seconded. Of all my friends and families, there's just one who use > 1 monitor. Maybe about ~95% vs 5% who use multiple monitors.
              Ok, that's cool but you know what - most mid and high end discrete GPUs ship with 3 or 4 display outputs. Most docks ship with 3+ display outputs. There must be some reason for this. Most offices I've worked in had docks and external displays. A single external monitor already makes it a two display workstation. Sure, a 12" notebook screen might support 1080p or 4k, but work ergonomics seem to improve quite a bit with the help of external 27+ inch displays. I've never understood how some guys manage to do 8-10 hours of development work each day, staring at tiny integrated 12" ultrabook screens, without developing any kind of neck / back pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                by the time Wayland is adopted, it will be obsolete.
                So, the Fedora users have had Wayland enabled as the default choice since Fedora 25 (Nov 2016). Does that count? Ubuntu, Debian (even stable), SUSE etc. use Wayland by default. Distros like Gentoo or Arch don't have a single default option since you can set up whatever legacy tech you want (e.g. want to use 1980s technology such as the venerable twm?).

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

That is the problem.
                  You need more than just a protocol to replace X11.
                  When Canonical wanted to write a complete display server, everybody wanted to burn them at the stake ...
                  Why does it need more? It's a modern protocol. It doesn't need to same 1:1 feature creep and security vulnerabilities.

Just because X org had those unnecessary bloat, doing unnecessary bells and whistles, wayland should also do those same old mistakes?

Comment

• Update: found the screenshot.

Some quality advice from Zoom there. /s
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Just because X org had those unnecessary bloat, doing unnecessary bells and whistles, wayland should also do those same old mistakes?
                      Wayland made the opposite mistake: strive for absolute perfection of the codebase and protocol, while letting that obstruct getting features out in a timely manner that users actually need.

Comment

Working...
                      X