Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jarekZ
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    (Also a reason I'm not in any hurry to migrate to Wayland. I'm still waiting for them to implement crash recovery so I have an equivalent to "Oh, KWin/Mutter/Xfwm/Openbox/Fluxbox/etc. crashed/is acting up again. Time for --replace".)
    you can already launch suspicious programs in cage (which is wlroots-based as well) so they will crash it instead of main sway instance

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    and fuck you NVIDIA buyers, you are a bunch of weak losers
    Not everyone has the money to pay for their principles. I'm still on a GTX750 dating back to the fglrx days and, when I eventually replace it (probably when the hardware fails), I may go nVidia again since I need things to Just Work™ and there have only been two times in over 15 years when I had to update my nVidia driver from the distro-provided default to get the "can leave my desktop session logged in for months" behaviour I expect out of X11, while I still hear about various people talking about AMD drivers doing things that don't live up to that standard. (Once was a hard freeze, one was just a slow memory leak.)

(Also a reason I'm not in any hurry to migrate to Wayland. I'm still waiting for them to implement crash recovery so I have an equivalent to "Oh, KWin/Mutter/Xfwm/Openbox/Fluxbox/etc. crashed/is acting up again. Time for --replace".)

That said, when replacement time comes around, I may buy an AMD card from a local brick-and-mortar so I don't have to pay shipping if I need to return it for an nVidia card if the drivers fail to live up to my expectations.

...oh, and that, of course, assumes that I haven't grown a need for GPU computing in the interim. Currently, I'm considering AMD because I only use my GPU for graphics. If I wanted to do anything compute-related, I'd probably wind up being pushed into growing a dependency on CUDA.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 24 January 2022, 01:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    fuck you sway for changing that option name, it wasn't just funny but helping and remind people to do a little but if effort and not support shitty lame practices. There's even few gaming laptops with Radeon graphics nowadays...

and fuck you NVIDIA buyers, you are a bunch of weak losers

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverFox

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.

Be fun for sure to see if the linux M1 projects gets any traction, But can't help but to think of the nouveau project and the hurdle they've faced all this time.
    less nouveau, more panfrost (same dev). they already _have_ a working open source driver that passes around 90% of the opengl conformance tests. it hasn't yet been ported to linux (producing the kernel-mode shim is the last step) but it's also the easiest. especially when they already have the DRM stuff up and running on linux.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    --guess-i'm-not-going-to-be-running-swaywm-on-the-m1-mac --when-linux-get's-working-onit-then && shutdown now
    the M1 macs have an open-source GPU driver now. it passes about 90% of the opengl conformance tests

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.
    Do you have any information about Apple blocking such efforts like Nvidia does? Or is that pure speculation?

Leave a comment:

• ihatemichael
    replied
    "Titlebars now have a fixed height, they no longer resize depending on characters used in the title."
    This was incredible annoying, glad it's fixed.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    --guess-i'm-not-going-to-be-running-swaywm-on-the-m1-mac
    Why not? The m1 linux driver will definitely be open source, thus you won't have any trouble with sway.

By the way it feels very strange not having any kind of --fuck-you in the command line flag for Nvidia GPUs, the two should go alongside each other.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    --my-next-comment-wont-be-a-switch

Leave a comment:

• arun54321
    replied

--good-for-you --enjoy-novideo-card

Leave a comment:

Working...
X