Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Bear in mind, that was two driver versions that happened to win the freeze window lottery over more than 15 years of using nVidia binary drivers, and both cases were the matter of a few minutes to fix with a PPA... and, in this case, it's sort of a pro that they're out-of-tree drivers because it meant I didn't need futz around with completely new kernels like I would if I run into one of those "regressed after getting upstreamed" bugs I've seen occasionally mentioned with certain AMD cards in here.
    I've never seen the out-of-tree part as an advantage, but thinking about it that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by neuralgya View Post

Ok, let's insult thousand of users that are buying hardware measuring price/performance, just because the don't pay attention if nvidia is developing drivers "the right way",

And just a note, for many years nvidia was the only way to get decent 3d in Linux, meanwhile ATI was deprecating drivers for cards that were still being sold in stores.
      Yup, I still won't buy AMD because their drivers are a mess, and the fact that unless I buy an older AMD card, for full support of it I will be expected to be running the latest kernel and mesa libraries. Whereas with nvidia, all I need to do is either have current nvidia drivers in the repo and update to them (even Debian keeps these fairly up to date for stable with the backports, and RHEL now full on supports nvidia drivers). What Debian does not do, is have special repositories for the ever updating Mesa libraries. While you can grab some repositories that package the latest kernels, even if the backports are a few versions behind, I have yet to find some for AMD GPU drivers. Sure, I could run Arch... which I do, but that's on my main machine, which has a 3080 in it.

Nvidia drivers for the most part just work. Would I like they to be open sourced? Yes. But am I going to jump around and tell them to fuck off? No. The fact they even have had great Linux drivers for so long goes to show that they support us. They may be slow to adopt and add in new features, but for Wayland? I mean it's only recently gotten enough features to daily drive it. So many distributions are trying to push it along to their users, to get the adoption rate up... but it isn't like we haven't seen such things happen before to terrible results (remember all the 'Oh my god, Pulse Audio sucks!' articles? Or Systemd, or... so many other things...)

Makes the most sense to keep things stable as new things try to come about. Nvidia adding DLSS and Raytracing, etc to the Linux drivers a little bit later than Windows makes a whole lot of sense!

I don't know... sometimes the 'holier than thou' open source community does rub people the wrong way 'Open source, or gtfo!' doesn't work in all cases...

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        So many distributions are trying to push it along to their users, to get the adoption rate up... but it isn't like we haven't seen such things happen before to terrible results (remember all the 'Oh my god, Pulse Audio sucks!' articles? Or Systemd, or... so many other things...)
        Distros' reactions to the KDE crew saying that KDE 4.0 was a preview release (A.K.A. ignore that and ship it anyway) drove me from KDE 3.5 to LXDE until whatever version of KDE shipped with Ubuntu 14.04... and the main reason I wound up migrating back was that KDE got its foot in the door because I'd gotten a third monitor, it would take a month or two for an inexpensive VESA mount to arrive from China, and LXPanel didn't deal with non-rectangular desktops well.

Comment

Working...
        X