Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Funny enough, KDE's approach was:
    1. Refuse to support EGLStreams for nVidia
    2. Accept nVidia's offer to do the work for them
    3. Keep sending the nVidia guy running back to the driver team with questions about how to accomplish unarguably desirable compositor-y things that GBM allows and EGLStreams doesn't.
    ...so KDE's attitude may have been weaker, but it was arguably more effective in enacting change.
    I never followed Waylan/Nvidia that much despite being heavily invested in Nvidia.

However, Gnome had documented most EGLStreams issues well before KDE. Credit where credit is due.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

People have the right to buy the hardware best suited for their needs.
      If Linux (as an ecosystem) doesn't work well enough with Nvidia, they'll just use Windows. And rightly so
      People can buy what they want..
      However, every business sector is big on convincing people that they want things that they dont need (it's called publicity).

Also, Linux is not a planned "ecosystem". So, it is not Linux that inherently supports things but it is HW providers that need to do the legwork to be part of the "ecosystem".

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Funny enough, KDE's approach was:
        1. Refuse to support EGLStreams for nVidia
        2. Accept nVidia's offer to do the work for them
        3. Keep sending the nVidia guy running back to the driver team with questions about how to accomplish unarguably desirable compositor-y things that GBM allows and EGLStreams doesn't.
        ...so KDE's attitude may have been weaker, but it was arguably more effective in enacting change.
        Nice!
        I agree that KDE's attitude was more effective.
        I'm really proud of KDE developers standing their ground and not making easy at all for Nvidia, even though I ditched this vendor many years ago and Wayland worked very well for me already on KDE.
        I'm proud also of Valve of choosing KDE for Steam Deck giving it more power.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          Not to forget
          Code:
          WLR_RENDERER=vulkan
          . I have been running this for a while on the RADV driver (the AMDVLK driver is not working for some reason) and it works nicely!
          In my 6 monitor setup only the ones attached to the main GPU turn on. But indeed looks quite promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

In my 6 monitor setup only the ones attached to the main GPU turn on. But indeed looks quite promising.
            Six monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

The same we can say about people who choose environment polluting cars or not doing shit about protecting others in the pandemic.
              It's their right to choose what best suits their needs.
              Well I hate people that are so selfish and never care about the needs of others or the greater good.
              The whole planet is going to shit mainly because of the selfishness of people!
              That has got to be the most disingenuous and is really not an apt comparison.

Also as stated elsewhere in the thread NVidia is support hardware that is 15 years old, its just not open source which means most of your complaints are philosophical at best.

Comment

Working...
              X