Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

johanb
    It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately.

Yeah. Sway is copying i3 behavior there.

You should be able to accomplish that with some tedious configuration. You can pin workspace A1-A9 to monitor A and B1-B9 to monitor B, then set all the keybindings to change the A and B version simultaneously. (Separate with ; as I recall). Moving widows to another workspace may present a problem.

Comment

johanb
      It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately.

Yeah. Sway is copying i3 behavior there.

You should be able to accomplish that with some tedious configuration. You can pin workspace A1-A9 to monitor A and B1-B9 to monitor B, then set all the keybindings to change the A and B version simultaneously. (Separate with ; as I recall). Moving widows to another workspace may present a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Congratulations to the Sway developers for putting such a good command line flag and standing up to Nvidia!
        I think KDE developers had a similar attitude, even though weaker.
        Disappointing that others bent over to Nvidia's sleazy decisions!
        Nvidia is still garbage with no good open source driver, disrespecting the privacy, security, freedom and the right to have an environment as clean as possible (planned obsolence).
        But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.
        Here's someone living under a rock and has not heard about Nvidia's legacy driver branch.

And on the Windows side Nvidia still maintains current drivers for up to the Geforce 8 series released 15 bloody years ago. There's a damn good chance some people here were still wearing diapers during that time.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 09 January 2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.
          People have the right to buy the hardware best suited for their needs.
          If Linux (as an ecosystem) doesn't work well enough with Nvidia, they'll just use Windows. And rightly so

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Imagine if the Phoronix website had a Git commit embed functionality, so instead of a screenshot, it would embed the Git commit message as HTML with the blockquote element.
            As long as the commit message is cached and served by phoronix.com, that would be a nice feature.

Comment

Originally posted by board View Post

As long as the commit message is cached and served by phoronix.com, that would be a nice feature.
              Yeah, that is how I envisioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                Not to forget
                Code:
                WLR_RENDERER=vulkan
                . I have been running this for a while on the RADV driver (the AMDVLK driver is not working for some reason) and it works nicely!
                Thank you, didn't know about that one!

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

People have the right to buy the hardware best suited for their needs.
                  If Linux (as an ecosystem) doesn't work well enough with Nvidia, they'll just use Windows. And rightly so
                  The same we can say about people who choose environment polluting cars or not doing shit about protecting others in the pandemic.
                  It's their right to choose what best suits their needs.
                  Well I hate people that are so selfish and never care about the needs of others or the greater good.
                  The whole planet is going to shit mainly because of the selfishness of people!

Comment

The same we can say about people who choose environment polluting cars or not doing shit about protecting others in the pandemic.
                    It's their right to choose what best suits their needs.
                    Well I hate people that are so selfish and never care about the needs of others or the greater good.
                    The whole planet is going to shit mainly because of the selfishness of people!
                    It's not the same!
                    By the way, if some task can be completed in half the time (or less) by using Cuda, you're wasting electricity by not using Nvidia.
                    The idea that users are selfish and disappointing because they choose hardware that works better for them is deeply wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                      --fuck-sway-ill-continue-using-i3-on-xorg-with-my-nvidia-GPU-thank-you
                      --enjoy-your-on-life-support-insecure-dead-end-display-server

Comment

Working...
                      X