Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Phoronix: Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Sway 1.7 is up to its second release candidate for this popular i3-inspired Wayland lightweight compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sway is quite alright. Besides the keyboard stops working after resume (maybe that's a wlr issue though?), the single biggest thing I am puzzled by are these "dynamic workspaces" which are just an astonishing mess with more than one screen.
    Unfortunatelly all other wayland projects with the spirit of i3 seem to be dead (especially tragic to see way-cooler has died).

Comment

Congratulations to the Sway developers for putting such a good command line flag and standing up to Nvidia!
      I think KDE developers had a similar attitude, even though weaker.
      Disappointing that others bent over to Nvidia's sleazy decisions!
      Nvidia is still garbage with no good open source driver, disrespecting the privacy, security, freedom and the right to have an environment as clean as possible (planned obsolence).
      But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Congratulations to the Sway developers for putting such a good command line flag and standing up to Nvidia!
        I think KDE developers had a similar attitude, even though weaker.
        Disappointing that others bent over to Nvidia's sleazy decisions!
        Nvidia is still garbage with no good open source driver, disrespecting the privacy, security, freedom and the right to have an environment as clean as possible (planned obsolence).
        But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.
        Funny enough, KDE's approach was:
        1. Refuse to support EGLStreams for nVidia
        2. Accept nVidia's offer to do the work for them
        3. Keep sending the nVidia guy running back to the driver team with questions about how to accomplish unarguably desirable compositor-y things that GBM allows and EGLStreams doesn't.
        ...so KDE's attitude may have been weaker, but it was arguably more effective in enacting change.

Comment

Imagine if the Phoronix website had a Git commit embed functionality, so instead of a screenshot, it would embed the Git commit message as HTML with the blockquote element.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Sway is quite alright. Besides the keyboard stops working after resume (maybe that's a wlr issue though?), the single biggest thing I am puzzled by are these "dynamic workspaces" which are just an astonishing mess with more than one screen.
            Unfortunatelly all other wayland projects with the spirit of i3 seem to be dead (especially tragic to see way-cooler has died).
            Well I don't have the issue about the keyboard not working, but the dynamic workspaces are quite easy to turn off by just pinning the workspaces to a given monitor. I'm a little bit too lazy to look for it, but I'll leave you a link to my swayconfig where I "fixed" this for my workflow:

https://github.com/ManIVIctorious/st...orkspaceConfig

Comment

--fuck-sway-ill-continue-using-i3-on-xorg-with-my-nvidia-GPU-thank-you

Comment

Sadly sway is now harder to get to run with Nvidia, it complains about some argb 888 or something like that and refuse to start, hope they make a egl patched version on aur soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post

Well I don't have the issue about the keyboard not working, but the dynamic workspaces are quite easy to turn off by just pinning the workspaces to a given monitor. I'm a little bit too lazy to look for it, but I'll leave you a link to my swayconfig where I "fixed" this for my workflow:

https://github.com/ManIVIctorious/st...orkspaceConfig
                  Even if they are fixed, it can be a bit messy. It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately. That's how it works in DWM and awesome, I've been able to configure BSPWM to work that way too, but now that I've switched to sway that's my biggest annoyance that I have yet to find a solution for.

Comment

Not to forget
                    Code:
                    WLR_RENDERER=vulkan
                    . I have been running this for a while on the RADV driver (the AMDVLK driver is not working for some reason) and it works nicely!

Comment

Working...
                    X