Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Nears Release With Less Abrasive NVIDIA Option, Zero-Copy Direct Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by board View Post

As long as the commit message is cached and served by phoronix.com, that would be a nice feature.
    Yeah, that is how I envisioned it.

Leave a comment:

• board
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Imagine if the Phoronix website had a Git commit embed functionality, so instead of a screenshot, it would embed the Git commit message as HTML with the blockquote element.
    As long as the commit message is cached and served by phoronix.com, that would be a nice feature.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.
    People have the right to buy the hardware best suited for their needs.
    If Linux (as an ecosystem) doesn't work well enough with Nvidia, they'll just use Windows. And rightly so

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Congratulations to the Sway developers for putting such a good command line flag and standing up to Nvidia!
    I think KDE developers had a similar attitude, even though weaker.
    Disappointing that others bent over to Nvidia's sleazy decisions!
    Nvidia is still garbage with no good open source driver, disrespecting the privacy, security, freedom and the right to have an environment as clean as possible (planned obsolence).
    But their customers are also disappointing as they allow this kind of disrespect while they have the chance to buy something else.
    Here's someone living under a rock and has not heard about Nvidia's legacy driver branch.

And on the Windows side Nvidia still maintains current drivers for up to the Geforce 8 series released 15 bloody years ago. There's a damn good chance some people here were still wearing diapers during that time.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 09 January 2022, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duckbrain
    replied
    johanb
    It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately.

Yeah. Sway is copying i3 behavior there.

You should be able to accomplish that with some tedious configuration. You can pin workspace A1-A9 to monitor A and B1-B9 to monitor B, then set all the keybindings to change the A and B version simultaneously. (Separate with ; as I recall). Moving widows to another workspace may present a problem.

Leave a comment:

• duckbrain
    replied
    johanb
    It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately.

Yeah. Sway is copying i3 behavior there.

You should be able to accomplish that with some tedious configuration. You can pin workspace A1-A9 to monitor A and B1-B9 to monitor B, then set all the keybindings to change the A and B version simultaneously. (Separate with ; as I recall). Moving widows to another workspace may present a problem.

Leave a comment:

• staalmannen
    replied
    Not to forget
    Code:
    WLR_RENDERER=vulkan
    . I have been running this for a while on the RADV driver (the AMDVLK driver is not working for some reason) and it works nicely!

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mani View Post

Well I don't have the issue about the keyboard not working, but the dynamic workspaces are quite easy to turn off by just pinning the workspaces to a given monitor. I'm a little bit too lazy to look for it, but I'll leave you a link to my swayconfig where I "fixed" this for my workflow:

https://github.com/ManIVIctorious/st...orkspaceConfig
    Even if they are fixed, it can be a bit messy. It's easy to have more than 5 workspaces in total and I find it very annoying to have to use both hands to change workspace. I find it easier to have 1-9 on each monitor separately. That's how it works in DWM and awesome, I've been able to configure BSPWM to work that way too, but now that I've switched to sway that's my biggest annoyance that I have yet to find a solution for.

Leave a comment:

• scirocco
    replied
    Sadly sway is now harder to get to run with Nvidia, it complains about some argb 888 or something like that and refuse to start, hope they make a egl patched version on aur soon.

Leave a comment:

• bobbie424242
    replied
    --fuck-sway-ill-continue-using-i3-on-xorg-with-my-nvidia-GPU-thank-you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X