Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7-rc1 Has Better Zero-Copy Direct Scanout, Drops "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.7-rc1 Has Better Zero-Copy Direct Scanout, Drops "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Phoronix: Sway 1.7-rc1 Has Better Zero-Copy Direct Scanout, Drops "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

The first release candidate of the Sway 1.7 Wayland compositor is now available for testing...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x=Sway-1.7-rc1

"--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"
    I lol'd IRL. But they should have named it "--nvidia-f*ck-you".

Comment

Hmmm, I'd say that "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia" option was in fact more appropriatly named than the new one.
      But hey - nobody can afford GPUs anyway these days, so maybe that's the reason there won't be a "next GPU"?

Comment

Best flag name ever

Comment

If it weren't for Sway and KDE developers, Nvidia woul've never dropped their bullshit and start supporting GBM.
          Too bad other developers, like Gnome ones bent over very quickly for Nvidia.
          I applaud the developers who stood their ground agains shitty manufacturers!

Comment

Too soon IMHO. NVIDIA Wayland support is still highly incomplete and we're not even sure if it's coming sooner than in next 5 years or so

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
              Too soon IMHO. NVIDIA Wayland support is still highly incomplete and we're not even sure if it's coming sooner than in next 5 years or so
              It still might already help to find some bugs (mostly on the side of the NV driver ofc) now, opt-in doesn't hurt anyone. It's surely welcome to be frank about dumb issues of proprietary drivers, but let's not be fundamentalists.

Comment

Not related to "eff nvidia", but serious question if anyone can help me out here

I'm running Sway on a minimal Fedora 35 install and trying to stay Wayland native for as much as I can (for many reasons, but scaling being big obvious difference.) The default Firefox package is starting for me on XWayland, though after installing the "firefox-wayland" package, I can just launch that. I can probably make better, and on a related note...

Chromium and VSCodium (built on Electron, which is built on Chromium) both can run Wayland native if I pass them these flags:
                --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

But I have to do that on the command line. I don't know where I can just set these so I can launch from my launcher (using bemenu for now.) Can I set some variables for this (and if so where and how?)? Or do I modify the .desktop files? What is correct here? I can figure a lot of things out, but to be honest I am clueless here Any help appreciated -- thanks!

Btw, seeing the reference to the foot terminal being default on Sway 1.7, I found it is in the Fedora repos and installed that and set as my $term variable in the Sway config (was using alacritty.) So far so good as best I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                  Not related to "eff nvidia", but serious question if anyone can help me out here

I'm running Sway on a minimal Fedora 35 install and trying to stay Wayland native for as much as I can (for many reasons, but scaling being big obvious difference.) The default Firefox package is starting for me on XWayland, though after installing the "firefox-wayland" package, I can just launch that. I can probably make better, and on a related note...

Chromium and VSCodium (built on Electron, which is built on Chromium) both can run Wayland native if I pass them these flags:
                  --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

But I have to do that on the command line. I don't know where I can just set these so I can launch from my launcher (using bemenu for now.) Can I set some variables for this (and if so where and how?)? Or do I modify the .desktop files? What is correct here? I can figure a lot of things out, but to be honest I am clueless here Any help appreciated -- thanks!

Btw, seeing the reference to the foot terminal being default on Sway 1.7, I found it is in the Fedora repos and installed that and set as my $term variable in the Sway config (was using alacritty.) So far so good as best I can tell.
                  Editing the .desktop via Menulibre is the easiest/best option.

Comment

The tab dragging ( https://github.com/swaywm/sway/pull/6219 ) is nice. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X