Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I know what X11 SSH forwarding is
    Then you know it works pretty much exactly the same as waypipe for Wayland over SSH. The main difference is that the former is built into OpenSSH, the latter not yet (probably just a matter of time though).

But ultimately SSH is the means, not the end; the end in the question was remote display
    The question was:

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    does ssh offers a Waylandforwarding like x11forwarding feature?

Comment

What I find interesting is that when I kept reporting that I couldn't get (Plasma) Wayland to work in on my Intel-only laptop, people on here thought I was crazy because it “should just work on Intel”. But now I'm on my new Ryzen 9 PC with built-in AMD GPU (APU?) and I still can't get it to work. On various distros, that is.

Makes me wonder if the Wayland fanboys are secretly not on Wayland either, but love it so much that they trick people into thinking it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        What I find interesting is that when I kept reporting that I couldn't get (Plasma) Wayland to work in on my Intel-only laptop, people on here thought I was crazy because it “should just work on Intel”. But now I'm on my new Ryzen 9 PC with built-in AMD GPU (APU?) and I still can't get it to work. On various distros, that is.

Makes me wonder if the Wayland fanboys are secretly not on Wayland either, but love it so much that they trick people into thinking it works.
        I'm on a desktop PC with Radeon RX 570.
        Plasma 5 works here on Wayland, it feels snappier, but it still has bugs that overall render the X11 experience better, which is why I'm still on X11. This is mostly KDE's fault because Gnome on Wayland works far better (at least for me), but I hate Gnome, so...

IIRC traditionally laptops have been more problematic on Linux than the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          It's the overall architecture of Xorg that simply sucks. Code bloat doesn't have a performance impact so much because it's just unused data consuming some storage space.
          Yes it is architectural bloat. It is not a matter of code that doesn't even get touched, it is a matter of code that is there to facilitate the legacy features bloat. When the code for certain features is not consolidated and discrete but rather all over the place, it is not just more storage space, it is cache pollution which translate to more cache misses, performance and efficiency.

Most software developers today are completely oblivious to how detrimental cache pollution can be. For the simple reason most development today is OOP which is orthogonal to cache friendliness. Inadvertently, OOP inspired designs end up with not only data member bloat, but also instruction bloat, more ifs and buts, more branching and whatnot. Especially when the design is also not layered and isolated well, which is also quite typical.
          Last edited by ddriver; 23 December 2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm on a desktop PC with Radeon RX 570.
            Plasma 5 works here on Wayland, it feels snappier, but it still has bugs that overall render the X11 experience better, which is why I'm still on X11. This is mostly KDE's fault because Gnome on Wayland works far better (at least for me), but I hate Gnome, so...

IIRC traditionally laptops have been more problematic on Linux than the PC.
            As I said, I'm on an AMD desktop PC now too (previously Intel laptop). But still, Plasma Wayland just throws me back to SDDM after logging in, just as on my previous laptop. Every distro is like this.

Comment

As I said, I'm on an AMD desktop PC now too (previously Intel laptop). But still, Plasma Wayland just throws me back to SDDM after logging in, just as on my previous laptop. Every distro is like this.
              Don't care, mine is working fine. Edit: Ubuntu 21.10

Comment

I guess you did not try a clean account. Plasma does run into problems with X11 setting causing Wayland to fail to start. Yes it also runs into the reverse where you have a Wayland settings from running Plasma and you attempt to run back on X11 and now X11 Plasma fails to start and is throwing you back to SDDM. Yes this is KDE Plasma known issue.

Ideal world you would be able to switch between X11 and Wayland modes with the same user account but we are not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Then you know it works pretty much exactly the same as waypipe for Wayland over SSH. The main difference is that the former is built into OpenSSH, the latter not yet (probably just a matter of time though).
                  Its interesting; I can't see the OpenBSD developers adding waypipe for something they don't use. Perhaps someone will add it to the openssh-portable release as a set of patch kits?

But if it is anything like tunneling VNC, you don't particularly need it integrated with SSH. Mainly because the server is the server (Xvnc) rather than the client providing the server (Xorg).

Comment

One of waylands most promised feture was - we are dropping all this Xorg legacy layer, so we will be more power efficient. An years, ans years - wayland was eating battery as t-rex, while Xorg with all that legacy was doing way better. Ok - finally in XXX years - in GNOME!!!! session ( I bet they nbever touched a single app requiring Xwayland to show this bullshit benchmark) - wayland has some advantage. COme on , guys - you promised efficiency by design and at the end it takes years of work and huge pack of investment RedHat put in this piece of garbage.

My main feeling - it personal, so may be wrong - wayland by design is ugly piece of garbage. It is good for paranoid corporations for all this bullshit security. Its my desktop. I see it all - so I do not care if one of my apps will be able to capture screen of my other app. For personal linux this security is useless. Ok - lets see if the moner RH invested into wayland will finally make something better that my beloved stone-age Xorg, bu so far I do not trust this tests. By the way my Mate Xorg session use kind of 3-4 watts with firefox, thinderbird, messengers etc lounched if i do not have anything running. Up to 1.7 watts on minimum brightness on pure Mate (no browsers, vibers, telegrams) , 0.8-0.9 watts when screen off. So all those measurements looks like dirty wayand marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                      Ideal world you would be able to switch between X11 and Wayland modes with the same user account but we are not there yet.
                      Can you explain a bit more? at SDDM before I login, I switch between X11 and Wayland, I mostly use Wayland now after tons of bugs got fixed but dont see any issues hopping back and fourth.. Arch btw

Comment

Working...
                      X