GNOME's Wayland Session Shows Potential For Better Battery Life Than With X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    does ssh offers a Waylandforwarding like x11forwarding feature?

I believe Wayland doesn't have that masterpiece, very useful on servers..
    Wayland has no rendering API.

Comment

That would be waypipe solution at this stage.

Yes waypipe does provide option over and above the old school ssh -X forwards. That option is have a application not die if ssh connection fails for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
        Wayland has no rendering API.
        Lack of rendering API in wayland protocol has not preventing waypipe from existing and working.

Yes waypipe is a wayland proxy so a part wayland compositor running with the application this does give the advantage I mentioned to tuxd3v that you can set up wayland remote in way that if ssh session breaks applications don't get remotely terminated.

So waypipe basically give you the Xpra functionality for Wayland when operating remotely.

Comment

Comment

I doesn't and it can't. If you want remote display with Wayland, you need to use VNC or RDP.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              I doesn't and it can't. If you want remote display with Wayland, you need to use VNC or RDP.
              That no the closest thing to ssh X11 forwarding is waypipe and its not VNC or RDP.

There are 3 basic options at this stage. With KDE developers working on means to restart wayland compositors without applications stopping in time it may be possible to transfer application from running local to running by VNC/RDP/waypipe or any new solution and back.

Comment

Wayalnd is more efficient than xorg, this explain the less power consumption. Pure wayland makes the same operation with less steps. Moreover, the lower power consumption, the more hardware lifespan and the lower energy costs.
                The best would be to compare a pure wayland Os with a pure Xorg Os of the same operating system typology without any Xwayland interference.
                Last edited by Azrael5; 23 December 2021, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

That no the closest thing to ssh X11 forwarding is waypipe and its not VNC or RDP.

There are 3 basic options at this stage. With KDE developers working on means to restart wayland compositors without applications stopping in time it may be possible to transfer application from running local to running by VNC/RDP/waypipe or any new solution and back.
                  I know what X11 SSH forwarding is but there is no equivalent for Wayland and presumably there can't and won't be one. But ultimately SSH is the means, not the end; the end in the question was remote display and AFAIK on Wayland that can only be achieved through VNC, RDP, waypipe or something similar.

Comment

I know what X11 SSH forwarding is but there is no equivalent for Wayland and presumably there can't and won't be one. But ultimately SSH is the means, not the end; the end in the question was remote display and AFAIK on Wayland that can only be achieved through VNC, RDP, waypipe or something similar.
                    It does exist: Waypipe

Network transparency with Wayland: https://mstoeckl.com/notes/gsoc/blog.html

Comment

waypipe was built to be equivalent for X11 SSH forwarding for Wayland and in fact work right. Waypipe starts from a Wayland core developer work on network transparency for wayland..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes this 2016 thing of wayland over wire is simple to miss. Yes Waypipe is direct descendant of "Wayland Over Wire".

So the reality of your can't and won't be one is not in fact true. There is one its name Waypipe and was first called "Wayland Over Wire"

This article presents an interpretation of the history surrounding the ability for X clients to interact with X servers that are running on other machines over a network; recent arguments as to tha…

The hard reality is less and less X11 applications in fact work by X11 SSH forwarding. Yes more and more modern X11 applications you have to use Xpra

Persistent remote applications for X11; screen sharing for X11, MacOS and MSWindows. - Xpra-org/xpra

Welcome to the fun. Yes where you end up running Xwayland to run X11 application to you can sent to remote over network.

The reality is X11 network transparency basically failure.

Waypipe is network transparency with client and server side for wayland and if you want X11 working with modern applications you will need to be using Xpra to have client and server side with X11 as well.

Funny right people idea about wayland network transparency is wrong. Fun part network transparency did not need to be coded in the wayland protocol. Yes the first developer who did "wayland over wire" noticed that wayland protocol perfectly fine to use network transpancy just with a few handling things. Yes those few handling things you have to-do so modern X11 applications work over network as well.

Wayland over network and X11 over network with modern applications is bugger all difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X