No announcement yet.

GNOME's Wayland Session Shows Potential For Better Battery Life Than With X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Wayland Session Shows Potential For Better Battery Life Than With X.Org

Phoronix: GNOME's Wayland Session Shows Potential For Better Battery Life Than With X.Org

While not talked about as much as raw performance and other factors, but in the recent testing of the Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen2 laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U, it was observed that the GNOME Wayland session by default on Ubuntu 21.10 is delivering better battery life / lower power consumption than using the GNOME X.Org session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, considering how much bloat and needless legacy functionality x has, that's no wonder.

Comment

Apart from less code bloat, Wayland also implies less context switches than x11. This is just GNOME's wayland implementation getting mature and starting to deliver on the promised advantages over x11.

Comment

While I expected the performance difference, the 3 Watts savings is really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Well, considering how much bloat and needless legacy functionality x has, that's no wonder.
          It's the overall architecture of Xorg that simply sucks. Code bloat doesn't have a performance impact so much because it's just unused data consuming some storage space.

Comment

And Ubuntu is just on Gnome 40. Pretty positive there were some performance improvements in 41.

Comment

Michael I'd be interested in a comparison between Plasma Wayland and Plasma X.Org!

Comment

I‘d be interested in how KDE Plasma behaves under Wayland indeed.

Comment

Are these tests pure Wayland ones or are they XWayland?

Comment

does ssh offers a Waylandforwarding like x11forwarding feature?

I believe Wayland doesn't have that masterpiece, very useful on servers..

Comment

Working...
                    X