Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WXRD Is A New Wayland Compositor Focused On XR/VR Use-Cases

Phoronix: WXRD Is A New Wayland Compositor Focused On XR/VR Use-Cases

For the Valve-funded Xrdesktop has allowed GNOME and KDE desktops to be VR-aware, Collabora has been developing WXRD as a standalone Wayland compositor for XR/VR use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a vr desktop sounds nice but in practice its not that good because vr headsets aren't high enough resolution. I have tried these with valve index and you need at least double the resolution to make it nice and preferably 4 times the resolution to replace regular monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
      a vr desktop sounds nice but in practice its not that good because vr headsets aren't high enough resolution. I have tried these with valve index and you need at least double the resolution to make it nice and preferably 4 times the resolution to replace regular monitors.
      … and? They have to wait that tech is fully mature and 8k+ to start working ?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

He's comment is right. You are overreacting

He nowhere wrote to cease it's development, but gently warned potential current gen VR buyers that's suitable for desktop usage (some people believes that they can replace their laptops by something smaller then handheld and use this as monitor(there are many folks that never used VR or played only some games/demos on some demonstrations. And when you go higher res, you need really beefy hardware and electricity/battery consumption)

Comment

Very cool, I love stuff like this, even if I don't have a VR headset, I still want one. and this certainly helps

Comment

Sony, Valve and Microsoft definitely do not think so.

But I will still never use a VR headset for normal computing. My eyes have enough problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Sony, Valve and Microsoft definitely do not think so.

But I will still never use a VR headset for normal computing. My eyes have enough problems.
              Sony don't have a desktop for their VR platform. It is exclusively used for games. The 2D Playstation interface is pretty awful in VR for the resolution reasons stated above. VR is awesome and great for entertainment. But it's not there yet as a daily driver/monitor replacement. BTW Sony also advise on their headsets to never allow kids under 12 to use them. There's long term eye damage that can result from a child using VR.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

I made my own vr window manager.., basically what evil_core said. I created it and I never use it because the tech is not there. The software will just sit there for maybe 6 more years before its actually usable. Its fast an easy to make the software.

Comment

I made my own vr window manager.., basically what evil_core said. I created it and I never use it because the tech is not there. The software will just sit there for maybe 6 more years before its actually usable. Its fast an easy to make the software.
                  I don't think you'll have to wait 6 years.
                  All available VR headsets are still basically 1st GEN ; with similar tech (normal LCD or OLED phone type screens) and resolutions.
                  2nd Gen HMDs, with very high resolution micro OLED DISPLAYs are coming soon from Valve, Oculus/Meta, LG (who most likely will be making some if not most of those displays), etc..
                  In only 1~2 years, we should see products with more than enough pixels to read text comfortably if you believes analysts, patents and assembly lines being built.
                  Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 21 December 2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

I don't think you'll have to wait 6 years.
                    All available VR headsets are still basically 1st GEN ; with similar tech (normal LCD or OLED phone type screens) and resolutions.
                    2nd Gen HMDs, with very high resolution micro OLED DISPLAYs are coming soon from Valve, Oculus/Meta, LG (who most likely will be making some if not most of those displays), etc..
                    In only 1~2 years, we should see products with more than enough pixels to read text comfortably if you believes analysts, patents and assembly lines being built.
                    Even with that it still wont be on the same level as having a physical monitor in front of you. I have seen the vr micro OLED displays with 8k resolution and read the patents. The text is readable when its large but usable small text its still not good enough. 3d view also makes this worse. So unless you want to have the vr headset ignore your head motion and position then its not good enough.
                    Last edited by dec05eba; 21 December 2021, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X