Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 10 Alpha Brings Early Color Management Work, More Zero-Copy Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funny thing is that XWayland windows still can make use of ICC profiles that are assigned to the XWayland display, whereas native Wayland windows can't without that protocol...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I admit that I've always wondered why Weston wasn't meant for desktop use as well.
      Many minor DEs could have used it without having to develop their own compositor. They could have created the experimental version, which actually introduces the new features and a stable version, which the various distributions could have used.
      Yes, it is used in the embedded environment, but there we know that the management is very simplified, usually without windows and with few functionalities.
      Well, embedded is about all that Wayland handles properly. I don't know of a single DE that had a pleasant experience implementing Wayland. It's all full of "yeah, we don't do that anymore, you figure something out" on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by ridge View Post
        Dude omg my favourite distro
        Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, embedded is about all that Wayland handles properly. I don't know of a single DE that had a pleasant experience implementing Wayland. It's all full of "yeah, we don't do that anymore, you figure something out" on the desktop.
          When I used Gnome last time I didn't even realize I was using Wayland, I only realized because firefox scrolling was smooth.
          Now I am using it daily on KDE without any problems, there are still some problems with the multi monitor, but soon this too will be fixed. So as far as I'm concerned I'm very happy with wayland ... if you ask me if it could have been done differently and better, for me yes, but now it's useless to talk about it, today we have wayland and that is the most sensible choice if yours DE supports it.

Comment

Working...
          X