Wayland 1.20 Released With Proper FreeBSD Support, Protocol Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.20 Released With Proper FreeBSD Support, Protocol Additions

Phoronix: Wayland 1.20 Released With Proper FreeBSD Support, Protocol Additions

Wayland 1.20 is out today as the latest version of the reference Wayland library/support code and core protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Sounds great! Always happy to see a new Wayland release.
      I was hoping there would be a mention of Nvidia, since apparently it will be enabled on Fedora soon even for those of of us stuck on Nvidia cards while we wait for AMD cards to drop down about $1000. I'd get on Fedora now but I just can't tear myself away from the conveniences of Manjaro/Arch yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BlastProcessing View Post
        Sounds great! Always happy to see a new Wayland release.
        I was hoping there would be a mention of Nvidia, since apparently it will be enabled on Fedora soon even for those of of us stuck on Nvidia cards while we wait for AMD cards to drop down about $1000. I'd get on Fedora now but I just can't tear myself away from the conveniences of Manjaro/Arch yet.
        There is no protocol changes associated with Nvidia. That's purely a change in the Nvidia proprietary driver. So you shouldn't expect any Wayland announcements on this.

Comment

Wayland 1.20 also does away with its deprecated GNU Autotools build system support in now focusing exclusively on the Meson build system.
          I wish there was an anchor to that, so that I can link it every time someone cops out of a discussion criticizing Wayland with the "it's just a protocol" argument.

Comment

no fractional scaling
            no wayland for me

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              no fractional scaling
              no wayland for me
              Fractional scaling doesn't even work for all applications anyway and scaling of all sorts works terribly in X11 if you need mixed scaling factors.
              Last edited by Myownfriend; 10 December 2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                no fractional scaling
                no wayland for me
                I was about to say the same thing.
                This situation is unbelievable!
                I don't understand why there is no fractional scaling yet: if it works with electron apps, then it can work everywhere.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
                    I was about to say the same thing.
                    This situation is unbelievable!
                    I don't understand why there is no fractional scaling yet: if it works with electron apps, then it can work everywhere.
                    Because fractional scaling isn't remotely straightforward. You're talking about scaling fractions of pixels. Thats why the discussion you linked to is so extensive.

It also would still rely on application development toolkits supporting fractional scaling. For example, GTK only supports integer scaling.

Comment

Working...
                    X