Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols 1.24 Released With Improvement To DMA-BUF Protocol For Multi-GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• binarybanana
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post

That hivemind you talk of is generally developers who have used it and other systems.

I havent used any, so no opinion, just pointing out that the presumption you made there may be colouring the rest of your views.
    Not sure if it's only, or even mostly developers who rave about meson. Subjectively that doesnt't appear to be the case, but maybe it is, I can't say either way. My echo chamber is probably different from yours and I have no hard data.

Just for end users meson is a substantial downgrade in usability for anyone trying to do a build that's just a bit unusual or nonstandard. Most people who use only, or mostly use ready-made binary packages won't ever hit the limitations.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
    Have you ever used meson as an end-user or are you just parroting what you've heard from the hivemind?
    That hivemind you talk of is generally developers who have used it and other systems.

I havent used any, so no opinion, just pointing out that the presumption you made there may be colouring the rest of your views.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    This should allow direct scanout to work again with KWin 5.24 if all goes well. Not sure if only XWayland was affected.

Leave a comment:

• binarybanana
    replied
    Have you ever used meson as an end-user or are you just parroting what you've heard from the hivemind?
    IME meson is an overcomplicated and at the same time inflexible abomination. You can't easily override broken behavior like building binaries/libraries and tests using different compiler flags. If you try it will just blow your build away and recompile everything. With make and frinds it's just "make CFLAGGS=$CFLAGS LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS $etc tests" after the main build. Simple, easy and reliable. Cross-builds also tend to be broken more often with meson...

I can see it maybe being easier to use as a developer, for what it's worth, though.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I'm glad they finally got rid of Autotools for good. I hope every other project does the same.

Leave a comment:

• Wayland Protocols 1.24 Released With Improvement To DMA-BUF Protocol For Multi-GPUs

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols 1.24 Released With Improvement To DMA-BUF Protocol For Multi-GPUs

Wayland Protocols 1.24 is out today as the latest revision to this official collection of the Wayland protocols/specifications. Notable with the 1.24 revision is the introduction of wp_linux_dmabuf_feedback...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X